Valentines Park playground closed to youngsters because of overrunning improvement works
- Credit: Archant
It has been perfect weather for playing in the sunshine this week but an Ilford playground has been closed to youngsters because of overrunning building work.
The renovated under-eights play area in Valentines Park, Cranbrook Road, was due to be officially opened last week but was unfinished because a piece of equipment had not been delivered.
Parts of the playground are now fenced off as contractors continue to work installing new facilities.
Toys and climbing frames including a miniature Noah’s Ark, phone box talk tubes and a springy tortoise are planned.
Work started on the park earlier this year after Redbridge Council’s leisure operator Vision said the existing park was “coming to the end of its life”.
You may also want to watch:
Some play equipment over 30 years old was falling into disrepair and some toys were shut off because of safety concerns.
In August, Gants Hill mum Cheryl Firouzman called for urgent improvements after her three-year-old daughter Sarah broke her wrist.
- 1 Thirteen-year-old boy stabbed in Ilford
- 2 Restaurant apologises after allegations of verbal abuse between staff
- 3 'Cheating surge': Dating site reveals how many people are having affairs in your area
- 4 Vulnerable woman dies burning charcoal for warmth after gas and electricity are cut off
- 5 Co-living development green-lit by council despite 'rabbit hutch' rooms
- 6 Seven Kings School celebrates 90th birthday with fair
- 7 Young Citizen nominee: Esha, 4, who inspired thousands to join bone marrow donor list
- 8 16-year-old arrested after woman reports sexual assault in South Woodford
- 9 Met Office warns of flooding risk with heavy rain set to hit London
- 10 Hainault community garden gets £85k for 'ecotherapy' scheme
Mrs Firouzman said she slipped on steps to a slide and fell after trying to grab a “rotting wooden bannister”.
A council spokesman said the opening of the park is now planned for June 13.
She added: “The other play area in Valentines Park and the swings can be used by children of any age.”