Valentines Mansion baby tortoises named after competition
- Credit: Archant
Two baby tortoises at Valentines Mansion have been named by children in a competition.
Nine-year-old Ahad Ali came up with the name “Tashi” - a Tibetian name meaning lucky - and seven-year-old Tavia Boehringer decided on “Jonus”.
The children drew pictures to go with their names and won a wooden art case from Ryman’s of Ilford and gift vouchers. They will also get to visit Tashi and Jonus.
The two-year-old tortoises live at the mansion in Emerson Road, Ilford, and make special appearances at family events during the summer.
Their mother, Tinkerbell, has been at the mansion since it opened to the public back in 2009, and tortoises were popular pets for past residents of the stately home.
You may also want to watch:
Valentines Park manager Simon Litt said: “I’m thrilled with the names and I’m sure the baby tortoises will be just as happy with them.
“It’s fantastic to get the local and wider community involved in this way.”
- 1 Neighbours slam council over Christchurch Green kiosk approval
- 2 Medics treat six people after three-car crash in Ilford
- 3 East London's 10 prettiest streets to visit
- 4 Best places to have a curry in Redbridge as chosen by readers
- 5 'Last of a dying breed': Ilford pub scoops readers' vote honour
- 6 Award for officers who tackled knife-wielding man at Ilford station
- 7 Bereaved dad's marathon tribute to son who died of rare brain disorder
- 8 Coffee fanatics to open 'lively' new coffee shop in Redbridge
- 9 Public in 'parallel universe' to hospitals on Covid measures, meeting told
- 10 Three new items Redbridge residents can recycle