Valentines Mansion baby tortoises named after competition
- Credit: Archant
Two baby tortoises at Valentines Mansion have been named by children in a competition.
Nine-year-old Ahad Ali came up with the name “Tashi” - a Tibetian name meaning lucky - and seven-year-old Tavia Boehringer decided on “Jonus”.
The children drew pictures to go with their names and won a wooden art case from Ryman’s of Ilford and gift vouchers. They will also get to visit Tashi and Jonus.
The two-year-old tortoises live at the mansion in Emerson Road, Ilford, and make special appearances at family events during the summer.
Their mother, Tinkerbell, has been at the mansion since it opened to the public back in 2009, and tortoises were popular pets for past residents of the stately home.
You may also want to watch:
Valentines Park manager Simon Litt said: “I’m thrilled with the names and I’m sure the baby tortoises will be just as happy with them.
“It’s fantastic to get the local and wider community involved in this way.”
- 1 Cash and jewellery taken in Ilford shop robbery
- 2 Car fire on A406 in South Woodford causing 'serious' delays
- 3 Upcycle and recycle market coming to former Goodmayes Homebase site
- 4 Seven charged after police crackdown on alleged county lines
- 5 Lloyds Bank announces Gants Hill branch closure
- 6 Girl, 16, allegedly raped in Ilford park
- 7 MP Sam Tarry: 'Much more needs to be done to support local businesses'
- 8 'I know how much they help': Teacher to continue motivational sessions
- 9 TfL admits wrongly charging supercar driver almost £1k in emission fees
- 10 NHS pilot to end blood test services at two Redbridge sites