UPDATE: Woodford Green store set on fire
A carpet shop in Woodford Green has been heavily damaged after a blaze there this morning.
Woodford Carpet Shop, in High Road, was set alight at about 3am by suspected arsonists.
It is believed the incident is connected with disturbances seen across London, including in Ilford.
A member of staff was doing paperwork at the back of the premises early this morning when the fire broke out.
Store part-owner Rob Howard said: “The fire travelled through the whole store.
You may also want to watch:
“The store is completely knackered, everything is ruined.
“It will all have to be rebuilt and started again.
- 1 Police appeal to find girl, 12, last seen in Wanstead Park
- 2 Primary schools in Redbridge rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 3 Seven Kings man charged in connection with alleged sex assault on boy
- 4 East London road and rail disruptions to travel this weekend
- 5 Man charged with Ilford robbery
- 6 Walk-in Covid vaccinations on offer at Valentines Park health fair
- 7 Man wanted for allegedly driving 'recklessly' in Ilford with baby in car
- 8 Ilford mother 'could have been saved' and NHS 'failed' her, family tells inquest
- 9 Dispersal order issued ahead of fears over ‘illegal music events’
- 10 Update: Man charged in connection with alleged sex assault
“The main thing was getting the people above the shop out.”
Reflecting on the cause for the violence Mr Howard said: “Just kids. They’re doing it for a status, to say we ‘burned that shop’.
“Police are tied up elsewhere so they’re running riot. Maybe it’s time they brought the army in.”
The firm also has a store in George Lane, South Woodford, as well as one in Highams Park and Walthamstow.