UPDATE: Woodford Green store set on fire
A carpet shop in Woodford Green has been heavily damaged after a blaze there this morning.
Woodford Carpet Shop, in High Road, was set alight at about 3am by suspected arsonists.
It is believed the incident is connected with disturbances seen across London, including in Ilford.
A member of staff was doing paperwork at the back of the premises early this morning when the fire broke out.
Store part-owner Rob Howard said: “The fire travelled through the whole store.
You may also want to watch:
“The store is completely knackered, everything is ruined.
“It will all have to be rebuilt and started again.
- 1 Teen 'robbed at knifepoint' in Chadwell Heath
- 2 Ilford care home turned into studio flats for rough sleepers
- 3 Barking man appears in court charged with mother-of-two's murder
- 4 Chadwell Heath death: Barking man charged with murder of Maria Rawlings
- 5 Cannabis and rambo knife sniffed out by police dog in Gants Hill bust
- 6 Footage issued of man sought in Maria Rawlings murder investigation
- 7 Man's suicide method thoughts were not in clinical notes, inquest hears
- 8 Labour's shadow cabinet reshuffle sees new role for Ilford North MP
- 9 Murder probe launched after mother-of-two’s body found in Chadwell Heath
- 10 Ilford mosque attendees attacked with eggs and stones
“The main thing was getting the people above the shop out.”
Reflecting on the cause for the violence Mr Howard said: “Just kids. They’re doing it for a status, to say we ‘burned that shop’.
“Police are tied up elsewhere so they’re running riot. Maybe it’s time they brought the army in.”
The firm also has a store in George Lane, South Woodford, as well as one in Highams Park and Walthamstow.