UPDATE: Woodford Green store set on fire
A carpet shop in Woodford Green has been heavily damaged after a blaze there this morning.
Woodford Carpet Shop, in High Road, was set alight at about 3am by suspected arsonists.
It is believed the incident is connected with disturbances seen across London, including in Ilford.
A member of staff was doing paperwork at the back of the premises early this morning when the fire broke out.
Store part-owner Rob Howard said: “The fire travelled through the whole store.
You may also want to watch:
“The store is completely knackered, everything is ruined.
“It will all have to be rebuilt and started again.
- 1 East London police officer charged with rape
- 2 ‘Game-changing’ kebab chain to open Barkingside branch
- 3 Liverpool Street to Shenfield line suspended as person hit by train
- 4 South Woodford curry house named best in the nation
- 5 Childhood sweethearts to open 'Brick Lane-style' deli in Barkingside
- 6 Roof damaged in Seven Kings house fire
- 7 Opera star Jonathan Antoine to return to the stage ahead of US tour
- 8 More strike action planned in Newbury Park school dispute
- 9 Redbridge ranked second most hygienic London borough for nightlife
- 10 Nine in ten Redbridge women report being subject to street harassment
“The main thing was getting the people above the shop out.”
Reflecting on the cause for the violence Mr Howard said: “Just kids. They’re doing it for a status, to say we ‘burned that shop’.
“Police are tied up elsewhere so they’re running riot. Maybe it’s time they brought the army in.”
The firm also has a store in George Lane, South Woodford, as well as one in Highams Park and Walthamstow.