UPDATE: Two staff at Ilford train station taken ill before ‘chemical incident’ closure
PUBLISHED: 17:17 05 March 2013 | UPDATED: 17:17 05 March 2013
Two members of staff at Ilford train station were taken to hospital this morning shortly before it closed, it has emerged.
The London Ambulance Service sent a duty officer, ambulance crew, single responder and hazard response team to the scene at 10.30am - minutes before the station was closed.
The staff members - one woman in her 20s and one in her 30s, were taken to King George Hospital to be assessed after feeling unwell.
The station, in Cranbrook Road, was then closed to the public and trains from 10.45am while reports of “fumes” were investigated.
But firefighters called could find no trace of a chemical spillage.
Crew manager Andy Watson said the smell appeared to be the same one that caused the station to close in yesterday’s morning rush hour.
Staff reported the smell of smoke shortly before 7am yesterday and the station was shut as a precaution.
But today the smell was reported as being “chemical”.
Mr Watson said: “It’s been fully checked out and there were definitely no chemicals involved.
“There’s a smell of smoke in the ticket hall but it could be problems with air conditioning or anything.
“But the staff were concerned so they called us.”
A Greater Anglia spokesman said it was “monitoring the situation as a precaution”.
Have you been inconvenienced by the closure? Call 0208 477 3821 or email email@example.com.
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Ilford Recorder. Click the link in the orange box above for details.