Update: Travellers leave Wanstead rugby club after five-day stay
- Credit: Archant
The remaining travellers have been evicted from the pitches of a rugby club after a five-day stay.
As many as nine caravans were said to have broken into the grounds of Wanstead Rugby Club, in Roding Lane North, Woodford Green, last Thursday.
Redbridge Council issued an enforcement order demanding the travellers leave by 2pm on Sunday.
The travellers failed to leave and were warned they would be forced to move on, if they did not vacate the premisies.
A group left on Sunday night, with the remaining travellers moving on at around 11.30am on Monday morning.
You may also want to watch:
Redbridge Council announced via its website it has suspended vehicle access to all the borough’s parks in light of the incident.
The statement read: “This is a short-term measure to reduce the chance of illegal camps being set up in our parks.”
- 1 Childhood sweethearts to open 'Brick Lane-style' deli in Barkingside
- 2 Ex-council staff who was sacked after bailiffs turned up at his work loses unfair dismissal claim
- 3 'Like prisoners in our home': Parents of attacked 13-year-old speak out
- 4 Walk It Out founder launches women's boxing classes
- 5 Thirteen-year-old boy attacked in Ilford
- 6 Restaurant apologises after allegations of verbal abuse between staff
- 7 Vulnerable woman dies burning charcoal for warmth after gas and electricity are cut off
- 8 Eatery 'at risk of closure' as scammers exploit Just Eat loophole
- 9 New boats arrive at Fairlop Waters amid country park investment plan
- 10 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines