UPDATE: Thugs smash up South Woodford shop and threaten worker
A thug “ran” towards a trader clutching a weapon as she stood in front of her looted jewellers shop last night.
Richard Miles Jewellers, George Lane, South Woodford, was ransacked at just after 10am last night.
Gold and silver jewellery along with watches were all taken from broken display cabinets in the shop.
Bhavika Dewchand and her father, who owns the shop, were at the damaged building last night after getting a phone call about the disturbance.
Bhavika said: “We were waiting here for the shutters to be fixed.
You may also want to watch:
“Four men came back and one came running towards us.
“He had something in his hands.
- 1 Police appeal to find girl, 12, last seen in Wanstead Park
- 2 Primary schools in Redbridge rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 3 Seven Kings man charged in connection with alleged sex assault on boy
- 4 Weather warning in place with east London set for thundery weekend
- 5 Panel finds ex-police officer would have been sacked for neighbour comments
- 6 East London road and rail disruptions to travel this weekend
- 7 Update: Man charged in connection with alleged sex assault
- 8 Dispersal order issued ahead of fears over ‘illegal music events’
- 9 Woman and children treated for smoke inhalation after Ilford flat fire
- 10 Ilford mother 'could have been saved' and NHS 'failed' her, family tells inquest
“I’ve never driven off as fast as that.”
She added: “Forty of them lifted up half the shutter and were throwing rocks and bricks at the windows.”
The neighbouring Nationwide bank was also targeted and its windows smashed.
The incident follows reports of looting in Ilford Lane, High Road, Ilford and Woodford Green.