UPDATE: School pays respects to Seven Kings pupil killed in bridge fall
The headteacher of the school which Wendy Maguire attended has paid tribute to a “bright, cheerful, hardworking girl” who died after falling from a footbridge on Friday.
Year 11, 12 and 13 students at The Palmer Catholic Academy, Aldborough Road South, Seven Kings, were told of the tragic death during a special assembly on Friday, just hours after 16-year-old Wendy fell from a footbridge on to the A12, near the Green Man Roundabout.
The school was open on Saturday for any grief-stricken pupils who wanted to speak to a member of staff or counsellor.
School headteacher Frank Maguire said: “I, my staff, governors and pupils of the school would like to extend their sympathy and heartfelt condolences to Wendy’s parents and family.
“Wendy’s death was an unspeakable tragedy that has also shocked the whole school community and is a sad loss of a young life.
You may also want to watch:
“Wendy joined the school as an 11-year-old and has always been a bright, cheerful, hardworking girl.
“She had a very promising future ahead of her and was well liked by her teachers.
- 1 Arrests in Ilford and East Ham as police target suspected county lines gang
- 2 Newbury Park supermarket security staff step in to help man in crisis
- 3 Man found stabbed in Chadwell Heath
- 4 Doctor struck off after working underqualified for locum shifts
- 5 Businesses find cannabis growing in their flower pots
- 6 Council dishes out £7k of fines in fly-tipping crackdown
- 7 Covid jabs available at town hall clinic
- 8 Fire at Ilford Lane shop was accidental, brigade says
- 9 Two arrests after alleged assault on teen in Newbury Park
- 10 Strike over Covid working dispute begins at Oaks Park High School
“She enjoyed a wide circle of friends and took part in all aspects of school life. May she rest in peace.”
The teenager died at the scene of the fall and police are not treating the death as suspicious.
Friends have left countless tribute messages on social networking websites Facebook and Twitter, and video-sharing website YouTube.
A post-mortem is due to take place at Walthamstow Mortuary either today or tomorrow, police have said.
Next of kin have been informed of the death.
Would you like to pay a tribute? Call the newsdesk on 020 8477 3806 or email email@example.com.