UPDATE: Roof of ‘family run’ shop in Woodford Green destroyed by fire
PUBLISHED: 09:48 01 July 2013 | UPDATED: 14:01 01 July 2013
Firefighters were called to a “family run” shop in Woodford Green yesterday (Sunday) after a fire broke out on the top floor of the building.
Five engines attended the blaze at the flat above Londis, in Shenfield Road, at around 3.30pm.
It is believe the fire started in the bathroom.
A spokesman for Woodford Green Fire Station said: “The manager of the shop only knew about the fire after a customer told him he could see smoke coming from the roof.”
Guy Kilbey, 45, of Broadmead Road, realised a fire had broken out while he was out in his garden.
He said: “I could smell smoke but thought people were just having barbecues nearby. It was only my wife came out and told me the water pressure had dropped significantly that I thought I’d go and see what was wrong.
“When I saw the roof of the shop it was still smouldering and the firefighters must have been there several hours. Luckily no one was hurt.
“I regularly visit the family run shop and it is very popular locally.”
Did you see what happened? Please call 0208 477 3825 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Ilford Recorder. Click the link in the orange box above for details.