UPDATE: Roof of ‘family run’ shop in Woodford Green destroyed by fire
- Credit: Archant
Firefighters were called to a “family run” shop in Woodford Green yesterday (Sunday) after a fire broke out on the top floor of the building.
Five engines attended the blaze at the flat above Londis, in Shenfield Road, at around 3.30pm.
It is believe the fire started in the bathroom.
A spokesman for Woodford Green Fire Station said: “The manager of the shop only knew about the fire after a customer told him he could see smoke coming from the roof.”
Guy Kilbey, 45, of Broadmead Road, realised a fire had broken out while he was out in his garden.
You may also want to watch:
He said: “I could smell smoke but thought people were just having barbecues nearby. It was only my wife came out and told me the water pressure had dropped significantly that I thought I’d go and see what was wrong.
“When I saw the roof of the shop it was still smouldering and the firefighters must have been there several hours. Luckily no one was hurt.
- 1 Redbridge issued more than 2,800 Blue Badge fines in 2020, data shows
- 2 Sam Tarry MP urges Sadiq Khan to block Goodmayes Tesco development
- 3 Guilty: Who was jailed across east London in July?
- 4 Barkingside man charged with intending to supply cannabis
- 5 Charity urges council to tackle alleged Ilford Lane anti-social behaviour
- 6 Barking and Dagenham and Redbridge 'least active' boroughs in London, study finds
- 7 BHRUT doctors taking on triathlon in memory of colleague’s daughter
- 8 King George Hospital gets new ultrasound rooms and upgraded machines
- 9 Protestors decry 'privatisation' of NHS outside Loxford Practice
- 10 Former Homebase development plans approved
“I regularly visit the family run shop and it is very popular locally.”
Did you see what happened? Please call 0208 477 3825 or email email@example.com.