UPDATE: Riot police in Ilford as town centre locked down
Ilford Town Centre is in lockdown tonight and two lines of riot police are protecting the police station in a bid to prevent any violence in the town.
A stream of police cars and vans began circling the town centre, Winston Way and surrounding areas at just after 6pm.
Before long, riot officers were positioning themselves in front of the police station in High Road.
The town centre was also put in to lockdown.
Pedestrians coming from the police station can not get any further than High Road’s junction with Holstock Road, while the top end of High Road is also closed off with police diverting traffic.
You may also want to watch:
There have been no specific reports of disturbances or violence in Ilford, but both T-Mobile and Virgin Media in High Road were broken in to and looted in the early hours of this morning.
JD Sports in Eastern Avenue, Newbury Park, was also reportedly broken in to at about the same time.
- 1 Ilford care home turned into studio flats for rough sleepers
- 2 Teen 'robbed at knifepoint' in Chadwell Heath
- 3 Chadwell Heath death: Barking man charged with murder of Maria Rawlings
- 4 Barking man appears in court charged with mother-of-two's murder
- 5 Footage issued of man sought in Maria Rawlings murder investigation
- 6 Maria Rawlings death: Man arrested on suspicion of murder
- 7 Cannabis and rambo knife sniffed out by police dog in Gants Hill bust
- 8 New councillors for Loxford and Seven Kings react to by-election wins
- 9 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
- 10 Labour's shadow cabinet reshuffle sees new role for Ilford North MP
It is the third night of disturbances across London, following riots in Tottenham on Saturday, disturbances in places including Enfield and Brixton last night and Hackney among the areas being targeted tonight.
Have you seen any disturbances in Ilford?
Email email@example.com, or call 020 8477 3806.