UPDATE: Riot police in Ilford as town centre locked down
Ilford Town Centre is in lockdown tonight and two lines of riot police are protecting the police station in a bid to prevent any violence in the town.
A stream of police cars and vans began circling the town centre, Winston Way and surrounding areas at just after 6pm.
Before long, riot officers were positioning themselves in front of the police station in High Road.
The town centre was also put in to lockdown.
Pedestrians coming from the police station can not get any further than High Road’s junction with Holstock Road, while the top end of High Road is also closed off with police diverting traffic.
You may also want to watch:
There have been no specific reports of disturbances or violence in Ilford, but both T-Mobile and Virgin Media in High Road were broken in to and looted in the early hours of this morning.
JD Sports in Eastern Avenue, Newbury Park, was also reportedly broken in to at about the same time.
- 1 East London police officer charged with rape
- 2 Teen dies after being stabbed in reported fight on Loxford street
- 3 Man taken to 'trauma centre' after head injury at Hainault station
- 4 ‘Game-changing’ kebab chain to open Barkingside branch
- 5 Murder investigation launched after fatal stabbing of teen in Loxford
- 6 Liverpool Street to Shenfield line suspended as person hit by train
- 7 Childhood sweethearts to open 'Brick Lane-style' deli in Barkingside
- 8 Mapped: Possession of weapons across east London
- 9 Man charged in connection with alleged police car ramming in Ilford
- 10 South Woodford curry house named best in the nation
It is the third night of disturbances across London, following riots in Tottenham on Saturday, disturbances in places including Enfield and Brixton last night and Hackney among the areas being targeted tonight.
Have you seen any disturbances in Ilford?
Email firstname.lastname@example.org, or call 020 8477 3806.