UPDATE: Police on standby in Ilford as ‘unease’ grips area
Police are maintaining a high presence in Ilford Town Centre tonight, but the area remains completely open to the public.
Every shop in High Road has closed expect Primark, where some staff are standing at the doorway.
Reporter Tim Dickens, who is at the scene, said: “There’s a real unease. Everyone is looking really nervous.”
Last night police locked down the town centre at just after 6pm and riot police protected the police station.
Tonight, more than 10 police officers are standing close to the entrance of Exchange Ilford, but no trouble has been seen.
You may also want to watch:
Meanwhile, steel shutters have been placed over the windows of Currys Digital in High Road.
If you see any disturbances, email firstname.lastname@example.org, call 020 8477 3806, or tweet us at our Twitter page.
- 1 Chigwell rabbi hospitalised after 'unprovoked and cowardly attack'
- 2 First residents move in to new council homes in Hainault
- 3 Ex-police officer among group jailed for £850k intercept from rival gangs
- 4 Ilford murder investigation launched after woman dies of injuries
- 5 Police meet with Jewish communities after attack on rabbi in Chigwell
- 6 Indian variant of Covid-19 - what's the situation in London?
- 7 Two men arrested on suspicion of GBH following hospitalisation of rabbi
- 8 Man tried to become comic book character by stabbing teen in park toilets
- 9 Ilford Town only place in London with average house price below £250,000
- 10 Clayhall pupils grill Matt Hancock and Dominic Raab