UPDATE: Police on standby in Ilford as ‘unease’ grips area
Police are maintaining a high presence in Ilford Town Centre tonight, but the area remains completely open to the public.
Every shop in High Road has closed expect Primark, where some staff are standing at the doorway.
Reporter Tim Dickens, who is at the scene, said: “There’s a real unease. Everyone is looking really nervous.”
Last night police locked down the town centre at just after 6pm and riot police protected the police station.
Tonight, more than 10 police officers are standing close to the entrance of Exchange Ilford, but no trouble has been seen.
You may also want to watch:
Meanwhile, steel shutters have been placed over the windows of Currys Digital in High Road.
If you see any disturbances, email email@example.com, call 020 8477 3806, or tweet us at our Twitter page.
- 1 Police appeal to find girl, 12, last seen in Wanstead Park
- 2 Primary schools in Redbridge rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 3 Seven Kings man charged in connection with alleged sex assault on boy
- 4 Weather warning in place with east London set for thundery weekend
- 5 East London road and rail disruptions to travel this weekend
- 6 Panel finds ex-police officer would have been sacked for neighbour comments
- 7 Update: Man charged in connection with alleged sex assault
- 8 Dispersal order issued ahead of fears over ‘illegal music events’
- 9 Woman and children treated for smoke inhalation after Ilford flat fire
- 10 Ilford mother 'could have been saved' and NHS 'failed' her, family tells inquest