UPDATE - Police await formal identification of 29-year-old Ilford murder victim
Officers believe they know the identity of a 29-year-old stabbed to death in Ilford in the early hours of Saturday morning but are awaiting formal identfication.
They were called at 3.17am to reports of a stabbing in Ley Street on the forecourt of a Shell petrol station next to the Bell public house.
Ambulance staff also attended the scene to find a man suffering from stab wounds but he was pronounced dead at the scene.
Detectives are appealing for information and witnesses and await confirmation that next of kin have been informed.
A post-mortem examination will be arranged in due course.
You may also want to watch:
Police recovered a blue Ford Focus from the scene and want to speak to two women who are believed to have got out of the car while the altercation was going on.
DCI John Sadlin who is running the incident room in Barking said: “I am keen to hear from anyone who saw a blue Ford Focus, registration number EJ57 OED, in the Ilford area on Friday, November 2, or in the early hours of Saturday morning.
- 1 Arrests in Ilford and East Ham as police target suspected county lines gang
- 2 Doctor struck off after working underqualified for locum shifts
- 3 Average Redbridge house price nearly £30k higher than last year
- 4 Businesses find cannabis growing in their flower pots
- 5 Man found stabbed in Chadwell Heath
- 6 Newbury Park supermarket security staff step in to help man in crisis
- 7 Two arrests after alleged assault on teen in Newbury Park
- 8 Fire at Ilford Lane shop was accidental, brigade says
- 9 Covid jabs available at town hall clinic
- 10 Hainault woman celebrates 100th birthday with mayoral visit
“I also wish to speak with anyone who had been in The Bell pub that evening as well as anyone who saw the altercation at the Shell petrol station.”
Anyone with information should call the incident room on 020 8345 3865 or call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.
Officers retain an open mind to any motive at this stage and there have been no arrests.