UPDATE: One injured after Ilford Christian centre collapses
Just the “iron girders” of a Christian centre remain after it dramatically collapsed in Ilford Town Centre today.
One person is being treated at the scene, while the whole of Clements Road, Ilford has been evacuated.
The five-storey City Gates Christian centre, in Clements Road, was under construction.
According to an eyewitness, debris fell close to Redbridge Town Hall and in its car park.
A London Fire Brigade spokesman said six fire crews and three fire rescue units are at the scene after the metal framework of the structure collapsed.
You may also want to watch:
A topping out ceremony for the building was held on Wednesday.
Have you witnessed what is happening in Clements Road? Do you have pictures from the scene? Call us on 020 8477 3806, email email@example.com or Tweet us @ilfordrecorder.
- 1 Developments approved in Redbridge so far in 2021
- 2 Redbridge clean-up underway after flash floods close A&E and damage homes
- 3 Ilford charity opens B&M store in Newbury Park
- 4 Backlash as Fairlop Waters meadow turned into overflow parking
- 5 Ilford MP Wes Streeting is cancer-free after successful operation
- 6 Tributes paid to Seven Kings activist who 'always fought injustice'
- 7 Update: Missing girl, 12, found 'safe and well'
- 8 Ceiling panels collapse and operations cancelled at hospital after flooding
- 9 Flooding causes road and rail disruption across east London
- 10 Women use experiences to offer safety insights about Redbridge
More to follow.