UPDATE: Man stood on ledge above Seven Kings shop was ‘waving a knife around’, says police officer
The man who stood on a ledge above a Seven Kings shop for six hours today was “waving a knife around”, according to a police officer at the scene.
The officer said an investigation was ongoing into whether the man had other weapons.
He had been standing on the ledge above the Lucky Star convenience store in Aldborough Road South since around 8.15am.
Nicki Dahliwal, who works at Sathguru Plumbing and Health two doors down from the shop, said she saw “police marksmen” at the scene.
She added: “My kids got frightened so we took them in the back office.
You may also want to watch:
“We could overhear the police talking to the man and he was asking to see his mum.
“He was on the roof of the Lucky Star and then went next door and then he was on the top of our shop.”
- 1 Ilford Town only place in London with average house price below £250,000
- 2 First residents move in to new council homes in Hainault
- 3 More than a thousand attend Eid in the Field in Woodford Green
- 4 Ilford murder investigation launched after woman dies of injuries
- 5 Ex-police officer among group jailed for £850k intercept from rival gangs
- 6 Wes Streeting MP reveals cancer diagnosis
- 7 Teen 'robbed at knifepoint' in Chadwell Heath
- 8 Barking man appears in court charged with mother-of-two's murder
- 9 Redbridge equality group condemns 'heinous' Ilford mosque attack
- 10 Footage issued of man sought in Maria Rawlings murder investigation
Mrs Dahliwal said she saw police officers taking a knife away from the scene.
Police took the handcuffed man, believed to be aged between 20 and 30, away in a van around 2.15pm.
An eyewitness said officers appeared to be searching the flat above the Lucky Star shop after the incident.
Police have not confirmed the reports.