UPDATE: Man stood on ledge above Seven Kings shop was ‘waving a knife around’, says police officer
The man who stood on a ledge above a Seven Kings shop for six hours today was “waving a knife around”, according to a police officer at the scene.
The officer said an investigation was ongoing into whether the man had other weapons.
He had been standing on the ledge above the Lucky Star convenience store in Aldborough Road South since around 8.15am.
Nicki Dahliwal, who works at Sathguru Plumbing and Health two doors down from the shop, said she saw “police marksmen” at the scene.
She added: “My kids got frightened so we took them in the back office.
You may also want to watch:
“We could overhear the police talking to the man and he was asking to see his mum.
“He was on the roof of the Lucky Star and then went next door and then he was on the top of our shop.”
- 1 East London police officer charged with rape
- 2 Teen dies after being stabbed in reported fight on Loxford street
- 3 ‘Game-changing’ kebab chain to open Barkingside branch
- 4 Liverpool Street to Shenfield line suspended as person hit by train
- 5 South Woodford curry house named best in the nation
- 6 Childhood sweethearts to open 'Brick Lane-style' deli in Barkingside
- 7 Roof damaged in Seven Kings house fire
- 8 Opera star Jonathan Antoine to return to the stage ahead of US tour
- 9 More strike action planned in Newbury Park school dispute
- 10 Mapped: Possession of weapons across east London
Mrs Dahliwal said she saw police officers taking a knife away from the scene.
Police took the handcuffed man, believed to be aged between 20 and 30, away in a van around 2.15pm.
An eyewitness said officers appeared to be searching the flat above the Lucky Star shop after the incident.
Police have not confirmed the reports.