UPDATE: Man stood on ledge above Seven Kings shop was ‘waving a knife around’, says police officer
The man who stood on a ledge above a Seven Kings shop for six hours today was “waving a knife around”, according to a police officer at the scene.
The officer said an investigation was ongoing into whether the man had other weapons.
He had been standing on the ledge above the Lucky Star convenience store in Aldborough Road South since around 8.15am.
Nicki Dahliwal, who works at Sathguru Plumbing and Health two doors down from the shop, said she saw “police marksmen” at the scene.
She added: “My kids got frightened so we took them in the back office.
You may also want to watch:
“We could overhear the police talking to the man and he was asking to see his mum.
“He was on the roof of the Lucky Star and then went next door and then he was on the top of our shop.”
- 1 More than £5m worth of stolen vehicles recovered in first Redbridge Action Week
- 2 Cost of damage runs into thousands as Clayhall street clears up after floods
- 3 Ricardo Fuller death: Third man charged with murder
- 4 Olympian-trained South Woodford sprinter, 8, breaks record in Manchester
- 5 TV's Ben Shephard opens island themed playground at children’s hospice
- 6 Litter in Redbridge parks quadruples in one year, council reveals
- 7 Redbridge clean-up underway after flash floods close A&E and damage homes
- 8 Barkingside man arrested on suspicion of firearms offences
- 9 Engineering student wins place at Princeton University
- 10 The Sikh Network on grieving in lockdown and death 'as a process of life'
Mrs Dahliwal said she saw police officers taking a knife away from the scene.
Police took the handcuffed man, believed to be aged between 20 and 30, away in a van around 2.15pm.
An eyewitness said officers appeared to be searching the flat above the Lucky Star shop after the incident.
Police have not confirmed the reports.