UPDATE: Man held by police after hunt for gunman in Ilford
A man is being held by police accused of firing a shot at police officers in Cobham Road, Ilford yesterday.
Police came under fire from the gunman in his car as they responded to reports of a domestic dispute in Holmwood Road, Ilford just before noon yesterday.
While the officers escaped unharmed, a major operation was launched with armed police scouring the area for the man.
At one point a Holmwood Road bungalow, just yards from the playground of South Park Primary School, appeared to be under siege when more than 20 officers with pistols, machine guns and dogs surrounded it.
A police spokesman said this afternoon that police answering a 999 call about a domestic dispute spoke to members of the man’s family at an address in Holmwood Road.
You may also want to watch:
He added: “They then conducted a search of surrounding roads for a male suspect.
“He was stopped on the corner of Cobham Road and Asher Road where he threatened officers and fired a shot.
- 1 Ilford murder investigation launched after woman dies of injuries
- 2 Ilford Town only place in London with average house price below £250,000
- 3 First residents move in to new council homes in Hainault
- 4 Ex-police officer among group jailed for £850k intercept from rival gangs
- 5 More than a thousand attend Eid in the Field in Woodford Green
- 6 Teen 'robbed at knifepoint' in Chadwell Heath
- 7 Sam Tarry MP: 'My focus is on job creation in Ilford'
- 8 Wes Streeting MP reveals cancer diagnosis
- 9 Footage issued of man sought in Maria Rawlings murder investigation
- 10 Maria Rawlings death: Man arrested on suspicion of murder
“A 33-year-old man was arrested at 3pm in Northamptonshire and he remains in custody there.”
Children at South Park school were kept inside the building during the incident.