UPDATE: Ilford Town Centre cordon removed after ‘suspect package’ found
- Credit: Archant
The cordon surrounding the Royal Mail delivery office in Ilford has now been removed and the post office is open again.
The Royal Mail delivery office in Chadwick Road was closed this morning due to a suspect package.
The building was evacuated and a cordon put in place at about 11.30am this morning.
Businesses in adjoining Clements Road, including Cineworld, were not evacuated.
A postal worker at the scene said: “I don’t know how it was discovered but the suspect package was put to one side and our internal people told us all to evacuate the building.
You may also want to watch:
“Due to past history it [an address] has been flagged up before.
“Anything which goes to the address is looked at.”
- 1 Girl, 16, allegedly raped in Ilford park
- 2 Travelling in and out of Redbridge? Your guide to road and rail works
- 3 Arrests in Ilford and East Ham as police target suspected county lines gang
- 4 Man found stabbed in Chadwell Heath
- 5 Newbury Park supermarket security staff step in to help man in crisis
- 6 Doctor struck off after working underqualified for locum shifts
- 7 Businesses find cannabis growing in their flower pots
- 8 Council dishes out £7k of fines in fly-tipping crackdown
- 9 Woodford Green bomb scare declared false alarm
- 10 Ambulance stations to close and be replaced by single centre, LAS reveals
The London Ambulance Service said they were called at just before 11.30am by police asking them to be on standby.
An ambulance and a hazardous response unit were on the scene.
Michael Harold, 43, of Oaks Lane, Newbury Park, had arrived at the delivery office at about 10.40am to collect tickets for tonight’s Beyonce concert at the 02 for his son.
But he was told by staff he could not go inside.
The pub landlord, who bought the concert tickets for £300, said: “I just got told by the bloke from the post office that due to a suspect package I couldn’t go in.
“He said they had all been told to get out.”
He added the police cordon was put in place in the road about 50 minutes later.