UPDATE: Ilford murder scene being examined by detectives
Police investigating the murder of a teenager just yards from Ilford Police Station remain at the scene this morning gathering evidence.
Kelvin Chibueze died at 1pm yesterday following surgery at the Royal London Hospital, Whitechapel.
The 17-year-old had been stabbed in High Road, Ilford just nine hours earlier, at 4am.
Detectives say two groups containing 15 to 20 people were involved in a disturbance after a private party at a property off High Road.
The argument spilled out into High Road, and then into the car park next to Lidl and Fitness First, where it is believed the teenager was stabbed.
You may also want to watch:
An incident room has opened at the Homicide and Serious Crime Command under Det Ch Insp John Macdonald.
Mr Macdonald said: “There were people shouting and bottles thrown in what is a busy area even at that time of night.
- 1 Ilford Town only place in London with average house price below £250,000
- 2 Ex-police officer among group jailed for £850k intercept from rival gangs
- 3 More than a thousand attend Eid in the Field in Woodford Green
- 4 Teen 'robbed at knifepoint' in Chadwell Heath
- 5 Ilford care home turned into studio flats for rough sleepers
- 6 Barking man appears in court charged with mother-of-two's murder
- 7 Man's suicide method thoughts were not in clinical notes, inquest hears
- 8 Chadwell Heath death: Barking man charged with murder of Maria Rawlings
- 9 Footage issued of man sought in Maria Rawlings murder investigation
- 10 Murder probe launched after mother-of-two’s body found in Chadwell Heath
“My appeal is to members of the public who may have seen what was going on to contact us and also anyone involved in these two groups to come forward and tell us what happened.”
A post-mortem examination on the body of Mr Chibueze, of Croydon, will take place tomorrow in East Ham.
A section of High Road from the police station to Lynton House remains cordoned off this morning, with police still at the scene.
Fitness First, which is inside the cordon, will also remain closed for a second day.
Anyone with information is asked to call the incident room on 020 8345 3985 or call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.