UPDATE: ‘Hainault tornado was ferocious’, says eyewitness
A tornado which is reported to have ripped through Hainault this afternoon has been described as “ferocious” and “horrendous”.
Firefighters are in Hainault after trees were uprooted and roofs damaged in roads including Arrowsmith Road and Fawn Road.
A bus stop has also reportedly been blown over in Manford Way, while a trampoline has been swept out of a garden and into a public area of The Lowe.
Paul Simons, 47, whose Arrowsmith Road property suffered minor damage in the winds, said: “The wind was horrendous and you could physically see it because of the rain.
“I’ve never seen wind so bad. It was ferocious.
You may also want to watch:
“I thought it was a severe storm. I didn’t realise it was a tornado until I was outside and I heard a firefighter say so.”
About 20 residential properties in three roads have been damaged.
- 1 Neighbours slam council over Christchurch Green kiosk approval
- 2 Medics treat six people after three-car crash in Ilford
- 3 Best places to have a curry in Redbridge as chosen by readers
- 4 'Last of a dying breed': Ilford pub scoops readers' vote honour
- 5 Award for officers who tackled knife-wielding man at Ilford station
- 6 Bereaved dad's marathon tribute to son who died of rare brain disorder
- 7 Coffee fanatics to open 'lively' new coffee shop in Redbridge
- 8 Three new items Redbridge residents can recycle
- 9 Driver dies after Ilford shopfront crash
- 10 Man dies after fall near Hainault station
No injuries have been reported.
Have you been affected by the strong winds, or have any pictures of the damage? Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 020 8477 3800.