UPDATE: Barkingside supermarket smashed and looted
A hoard of cigarettes and alcohol was stolen from a Barkingside supermarket last night after five thugs threw rocks to get inside.
The Co-operative, in High Street, Barkingside had shut at 8pm – two hours earlier than usual – as a “precaution”.
At just after 10pm, when the store had originally been due to close, looters targeted it.
According to team manager Jas Rehal, who says he has today watched the attack on CCTV footage captured in the store, the gang of five used a crowbar to pull open the shutter covering the cigarettes.
Spirits were also taken and stuffed into black bags, said Mr Rehal.
You may also want to watch:
He said police arrived at the scene at 2am this morning.
The incident is one of a string reported last night across the borough, including in Ilford, Hainault and Woodford Green.
- 1 Ilford Town only place in London with average house price below £250,000
- 2 Ex-police officer among group jailed for £850k intercept from rival gangs
- 3 More than a thousand attend Eid in the Field in Woodford Green
- 4 Teen 'robbed at knifepoint' in Chadwell Heath
- 5 Ilford care home turned into studio flats for rough sleepers
- 6 Barking man appears in court charged with mother-of-two's murder
- 7 Man's suicide method thoughts were not in clinical notes, inquest hears
- 8 Chadwell Heath death: Barking man charged with murder of Maria Rawlings
- 9 Footage issued of man sought in Maria Rawlings murder investigation
- 10 Murder probe launched after mother-of-two’s body found in Chadwell Heath