UPDATE: Barkingside supermarket smashed and looted
A hoard of cigarettes and alcohol was stolen from a Barkingside supermarket last night after five thugs threw rocks to get inside.
The Co-operative, in High Street, Barkingside had shut at 8pm – two hours earlier than usual – as a “precaution”.
At just after 10pm, when the store had originally been due to close, looters targeted it.
According to team manager Jas Rehal, who says he has today watched the attack on CCTV footage captured in the store, the gang of five used a crowbar to pull open the shutter covering the cigarettes.
Spirits were also taken and stuffed into black bags, said Mr Rehal.
You may also want to watch:
He said police arrived at the scene at 2am this morning.
The incident is one of a string reported last night across the borough, including in Ilford, Hainault and Woodford Green.
- 1 Man dies after fall near Hainault station
- 2 Driver dies after Ilford shopfront crash
- 3 Met Office issues yellow warning for heavy showers in London
- 4 Driver in critical condition after Ilford shop crash
- 5 Man rushed to hospital after being robbed and stabbed in Ilford
- 6 Hospital left dying 103-year-old veteran without food, inquest hears
- 7 Teenager charged over Sven Badzak death in Kilburn
- 8 Fireaway pizza branch to open in South Woodford
- 9 Jailed: ‘Opportunistic predator’ who kidnapped and raped woman
- 10 Investigation underway as 20 dead birds recovered from Goodmayes Park lake