‘Unsightly’ flat plans come under fire after being resubmitted
- Credit: Archant
Staunch opposition has been voiced after plans to build new flats in Woodford Green were resubmitted months after being withdrawn.
Developers Palmhurst want to build a four-storey block of five one-bedroom flats in the car park behind 630 High Road, a block of 14 apartments.
The proposals were initially put in to Redbridge Council in January but were withdrawn two months later over concerns from planning officers over parking, bins and emergency access.
The application said the new proposals were “in direct response” to officers’ concerns, which had been addresssed.
But residents have hit out at the plans which they claim will have a “serious impact” on the area.
You may also want to watch:
Liz Langrish-Smith, of The Glade, said the development “would be unsightly, causing parking and traffic problems in an already congested area and ruin what is a very attractive area”.
And Dr and Mrs Ikpehare Ayodele Ahonkhai, who live in the High Road, said they had already suffered “noise, loud music and even police raids” at the neighbouring apartment block, and feared more flats would lead to further antisocial behaviour.
- 1 Mercato Ilford 'delayed again' as council pushes for Christmas opening
- 2 'Not acceptable': Residents mount opposition to plumbers' building plan
- 3 ‘Hard to comprehend’: MPs react as Sir David Amess dies after stabbing
- 4 Two more police 'enforcement hubs' to open in Redbridge
- 5 'Sick and tired': More restaurants fall victim to Just Eat scammers
- 6 Five veggie-friendly restaurants in Redbridge, courtesy of TripAdvisor
- 7 The most expensive houses sold in your east London borough in August
- 8 Six cars damaged and lamppost felled in late-night Loxford crash
- 9 Cross-party group demands mayor reject Tesco Goodmayes development
- 10 Chadwell Heath pharmacy to offer Covid-19 booster jabs with flu vaccine
Chingford and Woodford MP Iain Duncan Smith has also written to Redbridge Council urging it to reject the plans.
”There are already parking problems on these roads and this development will only exacerbate those,” he wrote.
Mr Duncan Smith also warned the development would “dominate” the area and warned of privacy concerns for residnets in Burlington Place, the High Road and the Glade.
Consultation over the plans closes on Tuesday (October 14).
To have your say visit redbridge.gov.uk.