Search

Two people escape from fire above fast food restaurant in Hainault

PUBLISHED: 15:38 16 March 2015 | UPDATED: 15:41 16 March 2015

sub

Around 15 firefighters were called to a blaze caused by a halogen spotlight in New North Road.

The fire began in a bedroom on the first floor, which has been slightly damaged by the blaze.

Passers-by raised the alarm after who spotted the fire and alerted the two occupants who left before fire crews arrived. No one was injured.

The fire was caused by a halogen spotlight that was left on too close to a curtain and set it alight.

A spokesman for the London Fire Brigade said: “Halogen spotlights generate a lot of heat and can set fire to curtains if placed close to them and left on.

“Keep halogen spotlights well away from window coverings, such as curtains, blinds and drapes. Keep them well away from bedding, clothing and fabric as well.”

Three fire engines from Ilford and Hainault attended the scene at about 5pm last night and had the blaze under control by 5.45pm.


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Ilford Recorder. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Most Read

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Most Read

Latest from the Ilford Recorder