Two people escape from fire above fast food restaurant in Hainault
- Credit: sub
Around 15 firefighters were called to a blaze caused by a halogen spotlight in New North Road.
The fire began in a bedroom on the first floor, which has been slightly damaged by the blaze.
Passers-by raised the alarm after who spotted the fire and alerted the two occupants who left before fire crews arrived. No one was injured.
The fire was caused by a halogen spotlight that was left on too close to a curtain and set it alight.
A spokesman for the London Fire Brigade said: “Halogen spotlights generate a lot of heat and can set fire to curtains if placed close to them and left on.
You may also want to watch:
“Keep halogen spotlights well away from window coverings, such as curtains, blinds and drapes. Keep them well away from bedding, clothing and fabric as well.”
Three fire engines from Ilford and Hainault attended the scene at about 5pm last night and had the blaze under control by 5.45pm.
- 1 Growing public support for tougher pet theft sentences
- 2 Consultation on proposed controlled parking zones to begin
- 3 Almost 250 homes without internet in Goodmayes after car accident takes out telecoms box
- 4 Surplus of primary school places now but shortage expected within 10 years
- 5 Double murder accused remanded in custody over ‘brutal’ stabbings
- 6 GPs roll up their sleeves to support colleagues at Queen's Hospital
- 7 Redevelopment plans likely to be approved despite 144 objections
- 8 CCTV still issued of man sought in 'vicious and unprovoked' attack in broad daylight in Barkingside supermarket
- 9 Covid outbreak at Woodford Green care home delays vaccinations
- 10 Royal Mail lists six Redbridge postcodes hit by Covid postal delays