Two midfielders on the way to Ilford to boost boss Colin Walton’s side
Two midfielders set to join, while AJ Olantunbosun is on his way to Ryman Premier side Aveley
Ilford boss Colin Walton hopes to strengthen his squad with two new midfield players, but revealed defender AJ Olatunbosun is set to leave Cricklefield.
Olatunbosun turned down an approach from league rivals Redbridge last week – the third club to make a seven-day approach for the central defender.
But now former Bethnal Green United boss Justin Gardner has taken charge at Ryman Premier League strugglers Aveley, the ex-Greens defender looks set to follow his old boss to Mill Field.
Walton is content with the number of defensive options at his disposal, even if Olatunbosun departs, but feels the squad lacks depth in the centre of midfield.
You may also want to watch:
“AJ looks like he’s finally on his way,” conceded Walton. “Aveley have put in an approach, so I think he may go and see out the season in the division above.
“We’ve got a number of new players training with us that are not signed. We’re flush with defenders and forwards, Rob Carter has really hit form and we’re inundated with wingers.
- 1 Redbridge issued more than 2,800 Blue Badge fines in 2020, data shows
- 2 Sam Tarry MP urges Sadiq Khan to block Goodmayes Tesco development
- 3 Barkingside man charged with intending to supply cannabis
- 4 Charity urges council to tackle alleged Ilford Lane anti-social behaviour
- 5 Guilty: Who was jailed across east London in July?
- 6 Barking and Dagenham and Redbridge 'least active' boroughs in London, study finds
- 7 BHRUT doctors taking on triathlon in memory of colleague’s daughter
- 8 King George Hospital gets new ultrasound rooms and upgraded machines
- 9 Protestors decry 'privatisation' of NHS outside Loxford Practice
- 10 Former Homebase development plans approved
“It’s just the centre of midfield we’re looking at. We’d like to have four or five players and at the moment we only have three.
“Since we’ve switched from 4-4-2 to 4-3-3 it means if we get an injury we have to pull people out of position, so that’s not ideal.”
On the pitch, Ilford recorded their third league win of the season on Saturday – beating Waltham Abbey 3-2.
Rob Carter netted twice and Loui Hazlewood got the third, but own goals from Olatunbosun and Leon Smith made the result closer than it might have been.
“The scoreline suggests the game was closer than it appeared,” said Walton. “Rob Carter played very well as did Loui Hazlewood.
“I’m very happy, it was well deserved and I’m even happier Great Wakering beat Ware (2-0) on Tuesday night, because we didn’t want anyone to pull away from us.
“It will be a blanket finish.”
Ilford entertained Romford last night (Wednesday) in a rearranged game due to the recent poor weather and the Foxes travel to high-flying Needham Market on Saturday.
Goalkeeper Rob Budd will be unavailable, but Daniel Adeoye is back after a recent trial spell in Thailand.
Recent acquisitions Jaden Francis and Neil Owusu could feature.