Twelve Redbridge police officers arrested in three years
Twelve Redbridge police officers have been arrested in the last three years, including two sergeants.
Documents released under a Freedom on Information request show the officers were arrested on suspicion of offences including corruption, violence against the person and drink driving.
Five suspects went on to be charged with an offence, and in the same period seven Redbridge police officers were convicted for theft, violence, drink driving and traffic offences.
A spokesman for the Metropolitan Police Service (MPS) said that the borough employs about 800 officers and police staff.
She added: “Therefore the number of police officers who were arrested, charged, convicted or disciplined represents an extremely small portion of the police officers based at Redbridge.”
You may also want to watch:
None of those convicted of an offence were sacked from the service, although some did resign or were subject to “formal action”. Others were subject to “management” action or “words of advice”.
Of the twelve officers arrested since November 2008, allegations against six of them were found to be unsubstantiated.
- 1 Neighbours slam council over Christchurch Green kiosk approval
- 2 Medics treat six people after three-car crash in Ilford
- 3 East London's 10 prettiest streets to visit
- 4 Best places to have a curry in Redbridge as chosen by readers
- 5 'Last of a dying breed': Ilford pub scoops readers' vote honour
- 6 Award for officers who tackled knife-wielding man at Ilford station
- 7 Bereaved dad's marathon tribute to son who died of rare brain disorder
- 8 Coffee fanatics to open 'lively' new coffee shop in Redbridge
- 9 Public in 'parallel universe' to hospitals on Covid measures, meeting told
- 10 Three new items Redbridge residents can recycle
The MPS spokesman said: “The MPS expects its staff to behave professionally, ethically and with the utmost integrity at all times.
“Any instance where the conduct of the staff brings the MPS into disrepute is treated extremely seriously.”