Tumble dryer fire in Seven Kings ‘caused by chemical on towels’
Firefighters were called to a launderette earlier after a fire broke out in a tumble dryer.
The incident at Meads Launderette in Meads Lane, Seven Kings happened just after 5pm.
The blaze was noticed by an employee from next door roofing contractors N T Fursse and Son who controlled it using an extinguisher.
A crew from Ilford Fire Station then arrived to put it out.
Crew manager David Weighill said: “The fire was caused by a combustible chemical on some towels which hadn’t been washed properly.
You may also want to watch:
“This is very unusual and unfortunate for the guy working here.
“He said he had been here 15 years and this had never happened.
- 1 More than £5m worth of stolen vehicles recovered in first Redbridge Action Week
- 2 Cost of damage runs into thousands as Clayhall street clears up after floods
- 3 Ricardo Fuller death: Third man charged with murder
- 4 Olympian-trained South Woodford sprinter, 8, breaks record in Manchester
- 5 TV's Ben Shephard opens island themed playground at children’s hospice
- 6 Litter in Redbridge parks quadruples in one year, council reveals
- 7 Redbridge clean-up underway after flash floods close A&E and damage homes
- 8 Barkingside man arrested on suspicion of firearms offences
- 9 Engineering student wins place at Princeton University
- 10 The Sikh Network on grieving in lockdown and death 'as a process of life'
“All the damage was confined to the tumble dryer and no one was in the premises at the time.”
Launderette owner Dave Tarbard said: “It was worrying when I had heard what happened but it’s OK now.
“We will clear up and start again tomorrow.”