Tube Strike: Redbridge roads hit by ‘horrendous’ traffic
- Credit: Archant
Tube strike action has caused heavy disruption to the borough’s Tubes and the chaos has spilled over to the roads.
There have been reports of heavy traffic on the M11 southbound in Woodford, traffic at a near standstill in Cranbrook Road, Ilford, and taxi companies being inundated with extra passengers.
Manager of Redbridge Radio Cars said: “It’s a nightmare, the traffic is horrendous.
“We’ve got extra cars on but if anyone goes into town they are gone three or four hours rather than the usual one hour.”
In Cranbrook Road it is reported that people are getting off buses to walk rather than wait in traffic.
You may also want to watch:
Central line trains have been departing from Epping but at greater intervals than normal.
The chaos has followed the action taken by underground workers belonging to the RMT and TSSA unions after they walked out at 9.30pm yesterday over controversial plans to close Tube station ticket offices and axe hundreds of jobs.
- 1 Medical student who helped injured biker calls for more first aid training
- 2 Primary schools in Redbridge rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 3 Police appeal to find girl, 12, last seen in Wanstead Park
- 4 Panel finds ex-police officer would have been sacked for neighbour comments
- 5 Seven Kings man charged in connection with alleged sex assault on boy
- 6 Woman and children treated for smoke inhalation after Ilford flat fire
- 7 Update: Man charged in connection with alleged sex assault
- 8 Ilford mother 'could have been saved' and NHS 'failed' her, family tells inquest
- 9 Letter: High-density housing plans in Redbridge
- 10 Primary school creates memorial garden for pupils to remember loved ones