Tube Strike: Redbridge roads hit by ‘horrendous’ traffic
- Credit: Archant
Tube strike action has caused heavy disruption to the borough’s Tubes and the chaos has spilled over to the roads.
There have been reports of heavy traffic on the M11 southbound in Woodford, traffic at a near standstill in Cranbrook Road, Ilford, and taxi companies being inundated with extra passengers.
Manager of Redbridge Radio Cars said: “It’s a nightmare, the traffic is horrendous.
“We’ve got extra cars on but if anyone goes into town they are gone three or four hours rather than the usual one hour.”
In Cranbrook Road it is reported that people are getting off buses to walk rather than wait in traffic.
You may also want to watch:
Central line trains have been departing from Epping but at greater intervals than normal.
The chaos has followed the action taken by underground workers belonging to the RMT and TSSA unions after they walked out at 9.30pm yesterday over controversial plans to close Tube station ticket offices and axe hundreds of jobs.
- 1 Childhood sweethearts to open 'Brick Lane-style' deli in Barkingside
- 2 Ex-council staff who was sacked after bailiffs turned up at his work loses unfair dismissal claim
- 3 'Like prisoners in our home': Parents of attacked 13-year-old speak out
- 4 Walk It Out founder launches women's boxing classes
- 5 Thirteen-year-old boy attacked in Ilford
- 6 Restaurant apologises after allegations of verbal abuse between staff
- 7 Covid patient numbers rebound at Barts Health hospitals
- 8 Vulnerable woman dies burning charcoal for warmth after gas and electricity are cut off
- 9 Mercato Ilford 'delayed again' as council pushes for Christmas opening
- 10 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines