Traffic lights being installed at Newbury Park death junction after years of campaigning
PUBLISHED: 17:19 28 August 2013 | UPDATED: 17:20 28 August 2013
Nearly four months after the second person was killed at a notorious accident blackspot in Newbury Park, promised safety improvements are being made.
Transport for London (TfL) is starting work to install traffic lights at entrance to Newbury Park Tube station, in Eastern Avenue, on Saturday.
The turning to the station currently has no signals, meaning cars coming from the westbound carriageway must cross three lanes of moving traffic.
Jothi Sriskandapalan, 29, was killed in a collision with another car at the junction in May.
Police said she was turning across the eastbound carriageway when the crash happened.
It is believed her husband, Ramesh, was waiting to be picked up outside the station in sight of the junction at the time.
The couple lived in Aldborough Road North with their two-year-old son Ajishan.
Mrs Sriskandapalan’s sister, Nevetha Sriskandapalan, said the road improvements have come too late.
She added: “It’s good that they’re finally doing it but it’s not going to bring my sister back.
“If that had done this before she would still be alive.”
Residents and councillors have been campaigning for changes at the junction for years after countless crashes, including one less than a day after Mrs Sriskandapalan’s death.
The previous victim was 69-year-old Dusan Danilovic, who was killed in a pile-up on January 1, 2011.
Responding to a request by Havering and Redbridge London Assembly member Roger Evans last year, Boris Johnson promised new traffic lights would be installed at the junction by October 2013 with “other measures” in the meantime.
But although TfL “explored” possibilities, nothing was changed.
Cllr Ruth Clark, who pushed for changes at the junction with Mr Evans and Cllr Vanessa Cole, said: “I’m pleased that it’s finally getting done and TfL has listened to us.”
Work is also starting on Saturday at the junction of the A12 and Aldborough Road North, where a pedestrian crossing is being installed.
Roadworks overnight and at off-peak times including weekends are expected to last between eight and 10 weeks.
Garrett Emmerson, chief operating officer for surface transport at TfL, said: “These works to key junctions on the A12 Eastern Avenue will improve access for pedestrians and allow vehicles to travel more easily across the junctions.”
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Ilford Recorder. Click the link in the orange box above for details.