Traffic chaos around South Woodford after tanker fuel spill on A406
Traffic is still heavy on the A406 after a tanker spilled gallons of fuel onto the road earlier this morning near South Woodford.
Firefighters who went to the scene near Waterworks Corner at 5.30am said they had to make a dam with ladders to stem the flow.
The petrol was six inches deep at some points and had to be contained to prevent it pouring into drains and becoming an environmental hazard.
Lanes are still closed westbound on the A406 at the Waterworks Corner as the clean-up operation continues.
Closures are expected to remain until the late afternoon as the spill has damaged the road surface.
You may also want to watch:
Delays are currently reported in the South Woodford and Gants Hill areas as well as on the M11 and surrounding roads.
- 1 Cash and jewellery taken in Ilford shop robbery
- 2 Car fire on A406 in South Woodford causing 'serious' delays
- 3 TfL admits wrongly charging supercar driver almost £1k in emission fees
- 4 Seven charged after police crackdown on alleged county lines
- 5 Lloyds Bank announces Gants Hill branch closure
- 6 Upcycle and recycle market coming to former Goodmayes Homebase site
- 7 'I know how much they help': Teacher to continue motivational sessions
- 8 Girl, 16, allegedly raped in Ilford park
- 9 Parents of man with special educational needs slam council over his care
- 10 MP Sam Tarry: 'Much more needs to be done to support local businesses'