Three escape fire in Ilford Lane shop
Three people fled a fire which took hold of a shop and its basement this afternoon.
The blaze, reportedly in Meto Shipping Ltd, Ilford Lane, Ilford damaged 10 per cent of the shop and 50 per cent of the basement.
Crews were called to the scene at 12.15pm today and it took 20 firefighters about 75 minutes to bring the fire under control.
A spokesman for the London Fire Brigade said three people had already escaped before crews arrived and there are no reports of injuries.
There are two floors above the shop, including flats.
You may also want to watch:
Khalid Hussain, chairman of the South Ilford Business Association, said: “There was smoke all over the place but they [the firefighters] put it out. There was more smoke than fire.
“It would have been worse if they [the firefighters] had not turned up so quickly.”
- 1 'Uproar' at decision to fell protected oak tree in Hainault
- 2 Former Homebase development plans approved
- 3 Woodford Green and Forest Gate residents criticise councils over flooding
- 4 Water company apologises for phone line waits as flood response branded 'woefully inadequate'
- 5 More than £5m worth of stolen vehicles recovered in first Redbridge Action Week
- 6 Developments approved in Redbridge so far in 2021
- 7 Redbridge clean-up underway after flash floods close A&E and damage homes
- 8 Inquest: Newham driver died of 'misadventure' after Redbridge police chase
- 9 East London travel disruption round-up for the week ahead
- 10 Ricardo Fuller death: Third man charged with murder
The cause of the fire is under investigation and crews have now left the scene.
The fire was close to Ilford Lane’s junction with Bengal Road.
• Did you see the fire? Call the newsdesk or 020 8477 3800 or email email@example.com.