Three escape fire in Ilford Lane shop
Three people fled a fire which took hold of a shop and its basement this afternoon.
The blaze, reportedly in Meto Shipping Ltd, Ilford Lane, Ilford damaged 10 per cent of the shop and 50 per cent of the basement.
Crews were called to the scene at 12.15pm today and it took 20 firefighters about 75 minutes to bring the fire under control.
A spokesman for the London Fire Brigade said three people had already escaped before crews arrived and there are no reports of injuries.
There are two floors above the shop, including flats.
You may also want to watch:
Khalid Hussain, chairman of the South Ilford Business Association, said: “There was smoke all over the place but they [the firefighters] put it out. There was more smoke than fire.
“It would have been worse if they [the firefighters] had not turned up so quickly.”
- 1 Maria Rawlings death: Man arrested on suspicion of murder
- 2 Footage issued of man sought in Maria Rawlings murder investigation
- 3 New councillors for Loxford and Seven Kings react to by-election wins
- 4 Murder probe launched after mother-of-two’s body found in Chadwell Heath
- 5 Chadwell Heath death: Barking man charged with murder of Maria Rawlings
- 6 'No stone will be left unturned' to find killer of Maria Jane Rawlings
- 7 Plans for three year extension to scheme targeting people using prostitutes
- 8 Man wanted in connection with dangerous driving incident in Newbury Park
- 9 Police car flips over in Chadwell Heath collision
- 10 Woman's body found in Chadwell Heath
The cause of the fire is under investigation and crews have now left the scene.
The fire was close to Ilford Lane’s junction with Bengal Road.
• Did you see the fire? Call the newsdesk or 020 8477 3800 or email email@example.com.