Three escape fire in Ilford Lane shop
Three people fled a fire which took hold of a shop and its basement this afternoon.
The blaze, reportedly in Meto Shipping Ltd, Ilford Lane, Ilford damaged 10 per cent of the shop and 50 per cent of the basement.
Crews were called to the scene at 12.15pm today and it took 20 firefighters about 75 minutes to bring the fire under control.
A spokesman for the London Fire Brigade said three people had already escaped before crews arrived and there are no reports of injuries.
There are two floors above the shop, including flats.
You may also want to watch:
Khalid Hussain, chairman of the South Ilford Business Association, said: “There was smoke all over the place but they [the firefighters] put it out. There was more smoke than fire.
“It would have been worse if they [the firefighters] had not turned up so quickly.”
- 1 Mercato Ilford 'delayed again' as council pushes for Christmas opening
- 2 Revealed: The most popular baby names in your area in 2020
- 3 'Not acceptable': Residents mount opposition to plumbers' building plan
- 4 Road and rail round-up: Disruptions to travel in east London this week
- 5 Jailed: Men who laundered £25m from cash and carry warehouses
- 6 Young Citizen nominee: Esha, 4, who inspired thousands to join bone marrow donor list
- 7 Two more police 'enforcement hubs' to open in Redbridge
- 8 The most expensive houses sold in your east London borough in August
- 9 Cross-party group demands mayor reject Tesco Goodmayes development
- 10 Police warn of 'violence, urination' as takeaway applies for late licence
The cause of the fire is under investigation and crews have now left the scene.
The fire was close to Ilford Lane’s junction with Bengal Road.
• Did you see the fire? Call the newsdesk or 020 8477 3800 or email email@example.com.