Thousands of fake Bollywood DVDs found in Ilford shop
More than �6,000 of pirate Bollywood DVDs have been seized from a shop in Green Lane, Ilford.
Redbridge Council’s Trading Standards team along with the police and The British Recorded Music Industry, a trade organisation, found more than 3,000 fake DVDs during the raid in January.
It followed a Trading Standards officer doing a test purchase to prove they were being sold.
A council spokesman said: “Although counterfeit goods may seem like a harmless bargain, the truth is the production and sale of such items is often linked to organised crime.
“Counterfeit goods are often cheaper and of a much poorer quality than the genuine items.
You may also want to watch:
“Consumers receive poor value for money and no guarantee of quality that buying a genuine branded product provides. And there is also no avenue for complaint if the goods are faulty.”
Trading Standards is investigating further with the view to taking further action against the seller, who has not been identified by the council.
- 1 Ilford care home turned into studio flats for rough sleepers
- 2 Chadwell Heath death: Barking man charged with murder of Maria Rawlings
- 3 Teen 'robbed at knifepoint' in Chadwell Heath
- 4 Barking man appears in court charged with mother-of-two's murder
- 5 Footage issued of man sought in Maria Rawlings murder investigation
- 6 Maria Rawlings death: Man arrested on suspicion of murder
- 7 New councillors for Loxford and Seven Kings react to by-election wins
- 8 Cannabis and rambo knife sniffed out by police dog in Gants Hill bust
- 9 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
- 10 Murder probe launched after mother-of-two’s body found in Chadwell Heath
To report the manufacture or sale of counterfeit DVDS call Consumer Direct on 08454 040 506.