Thomas Cook store in Barkingside not one of 195 closing nationally
The Thomas Cook travel agents in Barkingside High Street is not one of 195 stores to close under restructuring plans.
The business announced cost-cutting measures yesterday to reduce its high street presence to 874 shops, but staff have been told their store is safe.
A number of stores do not meet the performance targets of the business, according to a spokesman.
Closures are believed to have been focused in areas with higher concentrations of stores.
Thomas Cook also proposes cutting 2,500 jobs, with posts at its head offices in Peterborough and Preston at risk and its Accrington office to close.
You may also want to watch:
Peter Fankhauser, Thomas Cook UK & Ireland’s CEO, said: “As we improve and develop our online capabilities, maintaining a strong presence on the high street is an important part of our strategy.
“Even after these changes we will still have one of the largest retail networks in UK travel.”
- 1 Arrests in Ilford and East Ham as police target suspected county lines gang
- 2 Newbury Park supermarket security staff step in to help man in crisis
- 3 Covid jabs available at town hall clinic
- 4 Council dishes out £7k of fines in fly-tipping crackdown
- 5 Doctor struck off after working underqualified for locum shifts
- 6 Man found stabbed in Chadwell Heath
- 7 Businesses find cannabis growing in their flower pots
- 8 Two arrests after alleged assault on teen in Newbury Park
- 9 Average Redbridge house price nearly £30k higher than last year
- 10 Strike over Covid working dispute begins at Oaks Park High School