Theatre given a boost with grant of nearly £390,000 for South Woodford drama centre
- Credit: Archant
Theatre in the borough will continue to flourish thanks to a grant of almost £390,000.
Redbridge Drama Centre has received the sum from the Arts Council England after its two applications were successful.
The venue, in Churchfields, South Woodford, was given a £192,000 capital grant and £195,000 for retaining its status as one of the council’s National Portfolio Organisations.
The capital grant will help to fund an improved entrance to the multi-theatre complex, extra seating in the theatres and LED lighting.
It will also go towards new signage, information screens and a new online box office system.
You may also want to watch:
The second grant will fund the expansion of the theatre programme, the introduction of an apprentice dance company scheme and the creation of a Redbridge artists training company to support provision for black and minority ethnic (BME) people and to provide opportunities for young people and artists who have learning disabilities.
Cllr Wes Streeting, deputy leader of Redbridge Council and cabinet member for health and wellbeing, said: “These grants are a testament to the hard work of the staff, performers and volunteers who make Redbridge Drama Centre one of our treasured cultural assets.
- 1 Childhood sweethearts to open 'Brick Lane-style' deli in Barkingside
- 2 Ex-council staff who was sacked after bailiffs turned up at his work loses unfair dismissal claim
- 3 'Like prisoners in our home': Parents of attacked 13-year-old speak out
- 4 Walk It Out founder launches women's boxing classes
- 5 Thirteen-year-old boy attacked in Ilford
- 6 Restaurant apologises after allegations of verbal abuse between staff
- 7 Covid patient numbers rebound at Barts Health hospitals
- 8 Vulnerable woman dies burning charcoal for warmth after gas and electricity are cut off
- 9 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 10 New boats arrive at Fairlop Waters amid country park investment plan
“Thanks to these Arts Council England grants, won in the face of tough competition, we’ll be able to expand the theatre programme and create more opportunities for young people from diverse backgrounds to take part.
“We’ll also be able to further improve the facilities at the drama centre.”
Arts Council England supports a variety of activities across the arts, museums and libraries, from theatre to reading, dance to music and literature to crafts.
Between 2011 and 2015, it is investing £1.4billion of public money from the government and an estimated £1b from the National Lottery into such projects.
For more information on the centre’s grants, visit redbridgedramacentre.co.uk