The Joker pub to be demolished for 95-bedroom hotel in Seven Kings
- Credit: Archant
A six-storey hotel with 95 bedrooms is to be built in Seven Kings on the site of a demolished pub.
The Joker, in Cameron Road, will be demolished for the scheme that was approved by Redbridge Council last week.
A retail unit on the ground floor of the complex could be the pub’s new home.
The hotel, which varies between four and six floors, will be metres from Seven Kings station when Crossrail opens and speeds up journeys to central London.
It replaces previous plans for a flat block containing 19 apartments.
You may also want to watch:
Demolition was originally due to begin in 2015 and the council ruled that building work must start within three years.
A petition signed by 45 residents and nearby businesses was submitted to planning officers supporting the hotel.
- 1 Childhood sweethearts to open 'Brick Lane-style' deli in Barkingside
- 2 Ex-council staff who was sacked after bailiffs turned up at his work loses unfair dismissal claim
- 3 'Like prisoners in our home': Parents of attacked 13-year-old speak out
- 4 Walk It Out founder launches women's boxing classes
- 5 Thirteen-year-old boy attacked in Ilford
- 6 Restaurant apologises after allegations of verbal abuse between staff
- 7 Eatery 'at risk of closure' as scammers exploit Just Eat loophole
- 8 Road and rail disruptions to expect in east London this week
- 9 Vulnerable woman dies burning charcoal for warmth after gas and electricity are cut off
- 10 New boats arrive at Fairlop Waters amid country park investment plan
The accompanying letter said it would be “an asset to the community”, creating jobs and boosting trade in the High Road.
Letters from other residents raised concerns about congestion and noise.
John Cassidy argued it was “totally inappropriate” for the area and pointed out bedrooms would overlook a school playground.
The Joker’s licence was suspended for three months after about 250 cannabis plants were discovered in a police raid in October.
What do you think about a hotel coming to Seven Kings? Let us know by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or calling 020 8477 3821.