The art of love on display as Mother’s Day drawings win prizes
Impressive portraits of mums sketched by their children are being proudly displayed in Ilford after the drawings won a competition.
Six drawings entered into the Mother’s Day Portrait Competition, sponsored by The Exchange Ilford, were selected from 180 entrants by Recorder editor Chris Carter.
He chose a winner from each of the six schools which took part in the competition, and on Friday the youngsters and their mums were at The Exchange Ilford to pick up a large poster of the portraits, a �10 cheque and a �25 cheque for their school.
Thorntons presented each proud mum with an assortment of chocolate gifts, while Marks & Spencer donated flowers.
Jayne Burton, marketing manager of The Exchange Ilford, said: “The standard and quality of the portraits created by the children was extremely high.
You may also want to watch:
“Each portrait seemed to have captured the essence of each child’s mother, and they were obviously executed with a great deal of passion.”
The winners were: Irah Jhumka, 10, of Cleveland Junior School; Harjot Singh, 10, of Cranbrook Primary School; Richard Klein, seven, of Dersingham Primary School; Sherene Senior, eight, of Northbury Junior School; Amelie Ngombo of St Winefride’s Roman Catholic School and Benazir Gashi, nine, of Uphall Primary School.
- 1 East London police officer charged with rape
- 2 ‘Game-changing’ kebab chain to open Barkingside branch
- 3 Liverpool Street to Shenfield line suspended as person hit by train
- 4 South Woodford curry house named best in the nation
- 5 Teen dies after being stabbed in reported fight on Loxford street
- 6 Childhood sweethearts to open 'Brick Lane-style' deli in Barkingside
- 7 Roof damaged in Seven Kings house fire
- 8 Opera star Jonathan Antoine to return to the stage ahead of US tour
- 9 More strike action planned in Newbury Park school dispute
- 10 Mapped: Possession of weapons across east London
All the Mother’s Day portraits will be displayed at The Exchange Ilford on the third level until April 16.