Second highest death toll with more than 1,000 casualties on Redbridge's roads, TfL figures reveal
PUBLISHED: 07:00 28 September 2018
Dominic Lipinsk/PA Archive/PA Images
There were more than 1,000 people killed or injured on the borough's roads last year, figures have revealed.
Transport for London (TFL) published the numbers on Thursday showing an increase of three per cent on 2016 to 1,030 total casualties in 2017.
Nine people died on the borough’s roads that year – the second highest total among London boroughs – while the number of casualties defined as serious dropped 24pc to 72. A total of 949 were recorded as “slight”.
TfL transport strategy boss Lilli Matson said: “We refuse to accept that any death or serious injury on London’s roads is acceptable or inevitable.
“We will continue to work with the police and all boroughs to meet our target of eliminating all death and serious injury from London’s roads by 2041.”
There were 164 pedestrian and a further 64 cyclist casualties in the borough. A majority of 632 were car drivers or passengers, according to TfL.
It warned against making direct comparisons between 2017’s figures and those from previous years after the Met launched online reporting last year making it easier for people to report incidents themselves.
Ms Matson vowed that dangerous drivers would be targeted to cut the numbers along with increasing safety at road junctions, lowering speed limits and taking heavy goods vehicles off the roads.
Police Supt Robert Revill said: “Our message is clear, we won’t tolerate illegal and dangerous behaviour. We will take robust action against those that do.
“Excess speed, poor concentration and other risky road user behaviour are undisputed contributors to road traffic collisions. The consequences are devastating for victims and their families.”
The borough’s casualty total is lower than neighbouring Newham (1,105) but above Havering (790). However, both boroughs saw reduced figures compared to 2016’s, unlike Redbridge.
Overall the number of people killed in the inner London boroughs dropped four per cent in 2017 but the 20 outer London boroughs including Redbridge saw an increase of 28pc to 77 deaths.
Mayor Sadiq Khan launched an action plan called “Vision Zero” in July promising to stamp out deaths and serious injuries on the capital’s streets by 2041.