Temporary Hainault hotel for 4,000 Olympic security staff is up and running
Claims a temporary hotel for Olympic staff constructed at an ancient woodland is inhabitable due to bad weather have proved to be false after the Recorder learned people moved in about 12 days ago.
Snoozebox, which will pay Redbridge Council �650,000 for using Hainault Forest Country Park, Romford Road, Hainault, for the temporary accommodation, is already home to a small number of staff and will house up to 4,000 security personnel during the Games.
A Snoozebox spokesman said the project is “100 per cent” on schedule despite reports in the national press that the park was too wet and muddy for staff to move in. He added: “The wet weather has been challenging, but it has not caused any problems that we were unable to deal with.
“We successfully provided accommodation for over 600 people at the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee when it was constructed during the worst May weather on record, so we have experience in operating in poor conditions.”
A Redbridge Council spokesman added: “We understand that the wet weather has caused some delays with the project but officials from the Ministry of Defence have been living on site for more than 12 days.”
You may also want to watch:
The controversial project has left a number of residents up-in-arms, as they believe it will be a major disruption for park visitors and they are worried about the long-term effects on the parkland.
A council spokesman added: “The council agreed a licence fee of �650,000 which was paid by Snoozebox prior to work starting on site, this is the full amount the council will receive for the project.
- 1 Maria Rawlings death: Man arrested on suspicion of murder
- 2 Footage issued of man sought in Maria Rawlings murder investigation
- 3 New councillors for Loxford and Seven Kings react to by-election wins
- 4 Murder probe launched after mother-of-two’s body found in Chadwell Heath
- 5 Chadwell Heath death: Barking man charged with murder of Maria Rawlings
- 6 'No stone will be left unturned' to find killer of Maria Jane Rawlings
- 7 Plans for three year extension to scheme targeting people using prostitutes
- 8 Man wanted in connection with dangerous driving incident in Newbury Park
- 9 Police car flips over in Chadwell Heath collision
- 10 Woman's body found in Chadwell Heath
“The council has not yet formally decided how this money will be spent but some of the money will be reinvested into making improvements at Hainault Forest Country Park.”
If residents have queries they can call 07879 603 506 or email LONDIST-MoDOlympicsEnquiries@mod.uk.