Teenager stabbed in the face in Gants Hill attack

PUBLISHED: 11:43 01 May 2018 | UPDATED: 15:38 01 May 2018

A man was attacked in Clarence Avenue. Picture: Ellena Cruse

A man was attacked in Clarence Avenue. Picture: Ellena Cruse


A 17-year-old was stabbed multiple times in his face and arms during an attack in Gants Hill.

Police were called by staff at an east London hospital at 2.30am on Sunday, April 29, after the victim was found in Clarence Avenue and taken to hospital.

The teenager suffered a “number of stab wounds to the face and arms” as well as a fracture to his right hand. Officers established a cordon along Clarence Avenue, which was in place for the whole day.

One witness, who did not want to be named, said Gants Hill roundabout was a sea of blue lights as police descended on the scene.

“There were cars everywhere, we knew something big had happened,” he said.

“They first stopped along Cranbrook Road so we thought it was a nightclub incident but then they went to the other junction by little Sainsbury’s.

“Who stabs someone in the face - it is getting ridiculous - I hope the kid is ok.”

A Clarence Avenue resident said he first saw the police cordon when he woke up.

“I only wanted to go to the shop but police had shut the road,” he said

“Gants Hill is always busy at night and at the weekend, but with more and more of these incidents, it definitely makes you think about safety.”

A Met Police spokesman said: “Inquiries into the circumstances are ongoing.

“No arrests have been made.”

Anyone with information should call 101.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Ilford Recorder. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Ilford Recorder