Teenager’s leg caught in boat propeller ‘on school trip’ at Fairlop Waters
A teenager was airlifted to hospital yesterday after his leg was caught in a motorboat propeller on a lake in Fairlop Waters.
The boy was understood to be on an activity trip building rafts with a Chingford school when the accident happened around 3.30pm.
Firefighters from Dagenham were the first on the scene as they were in the park, in Forest Road, Barkingside, on a training exercise.
Watch manager Lee Ware said: “When we got over there the lad was in shallow water.
“We went in to release his leg. It was trapped by his shoelaces and we cut the laces and brought him to the shore.
You may also want to watch:
“The injury was serious but not life-threatening.”
A London Ambulance Service spokesman said an ambulance crew, motorbike responder and the air ambulance attended.
- 1 Teen 'robbed at knifepoint' in Chadwell Heath
- 2 Ilford care home turned into studio flats for rough sleepers
- 3 Barking man appears in court charged with mother-of-two's murder
- 4 Chadwell Heath death: Barking man charged with murder of Maria Rawlings
- 5 Cannabis and rambo knife sniffed out by police dog in Gants Hill bust
- 6 Footage issued of man sought in Maria Rawlings murder investigation
- 7 Man's suicide method thoughts were not in clinical notes, inquest hears
- 8 Labour's shadow cabinet reshuffle sees new role for Ilford North MP
- 9 Murder probe launched after mother-of-two’s body found in Chadwell Heath
- 10 Ilford mosque attendees attacked with eggs and stones
The boy was airlifted to the Major Trauma Unit of the Royal London Hospital in Whitechapel.
The spokesman said the teenager was “conscious and breathing” at the time.
Do you have any information on the incident? Call the newsdesk on 0208 477 3821 or email firstname.lastname@example.org