Teenager’s leg caught in boat propeller ‘on school trip’ at Fairlop Waters
A teenager was airlifted to hospital yesterday after his leg was caught in a motorboat propeller on a lake in Fairlop Waters.
The boy was understood to be on an activity trip building rafts with a Chingford school when the accident happened around 3.30pm.
Firefighters from Dagenham were the first on the scene as they were in the park, in Forest Road, Barkingside, on a training exercise.
Watch manager Lee Ware said: “When we got over there the lad was in shallow water.
“We went in to release his leg. It was trapped by his shoelaces and we cut the laces and brought him to the shore.
You may also want to watch:
“The injury was serious but not life-threatening.”
A London Ambulance Service spokesman said an ambulance crew, motorbike responder and the air ambulance attended.
- 1 Police appeal to find girl, 12, last seen in Wanstead Park
- 2 Primary schools in Redbridge rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 3 Seven Kings man charged in connection with alleged sex assault on boy
- 4 East London road and rail disruptions to travel this weekend
- 5 Man charged with Ilford robbery
- 6 Walk-in Covid vaccinations on offer at Valentines Park health fair
- 7 Ilford mother 'could have been saved' and NHS 'failed' her, family tells inquest
- 8 Dispersal order issued ahead of fears over ‘illegal music events’
- 9 Man wanted for allegedly driving 'recklessly' in Ilford with baby in car
- 10 Update: Man charged in connection with alleged sex assault
The boy was airlifted to the Major Trauma Unit of the Royal London Hospital in Whitechapel.
The spokesman said the teenager was “conscious and breathing” at the time.
Do you have any information on the incident? Call the newsdesk on 0208 477 3821 or email firstname.lastname@example.org