Teen stuck in Clayhall park overnight after the car he was racing got wedged in snow

PUBLISHED: 12:54 01 March 2018 | UPDATED: 13:02 01 March 2018

The car was stuck in the middle of Clayhall Park

The car was stuck in the middle of Clayhall Park


Heading to the park to play games on a snow day is pretty standard, but perhaps not in your car.

Despite hours of digging it could not be moved.Despite hours of digging it could not be moved.

One teen was left in the park overnight after the vehicle he was racing in got stuck in Clayhall Park, Lord Avenue.

The male was whizzing around the cricket pitch against another car at 3.37pm, on Wednesday, February 28, when his rear wheel drive lost traction and he became wedged in.

Speaking to the Recorder he said: “We thought we would come out and have fun in the snow.

“We were spinning round in cars but one of them got stuck.

A tow truck also came down to try and help.A tow truck also came down to try and help.

“It’s a rear wheel drive Mercedes S class, its a nice car.”

The teen left the vehicle to go home and get a shovel to dig it out but claimed when he returned someone had already stolen his mirror.

“Everyone is asking me why not leave it there till the ice thaws out, but it is already really stuck and there will be more snow tomorrow.

“My mirror was already stolen I don’t want anything else taken.”

The driver of the car called out a tow truck and a park gate was left open after closing time for access.

However, the rescue vehicle was unable to help.

“They couldn’t take it out either,” he added.

“They refused to come on the grass as they would get stuck as well.”

In the end, he made a call to some friends who loyally turned up to assist him but even they couldn’t move the car and the tyres kept on spinning in the snow.

When asked if the driver had learnt anything from the situation he replied: “Next time I will bring a 4x4.”

The Recorder left the scene after the teen and his friends had been trying to dig the car for more than five hours.

They certainly had a chilly night, but by morning the vehicle had somehow been moved.

A Met Police spokeswoman said: “We were called at 15.37pm to Clayhall Park to reports of some kind of antisocial behaviour involving vehicles.

“Police were assisting at the scene.”

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Ilford Recorder. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Related articles

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Ilford Recorder