Target of �102k for ‘desperately needed’ Wanstead church repairs
A CHURCH has kick-started a �102,000 fundraising mission, as it tries to make “desperately needed” repairs.
The Heritage Lottery Fund and English Heritage have awarded Christ Church, Wanstead Place, Wanstead, a grant of �158,000 for roof repairs and the renewal of valley and rainwater gutters.
But to get the work done, Wanstead St Mary’s with Christ Church Parish needs to raise �102,000 in the next 18 months.
Parish rector-designate Rev Liz Horwell said: “There will be all kinds of sponsored events and fundraising going on to try to raise the rest of the money.
“It will be a lot of hard work but we have made a good start with the award of this grant.”
You may also want to watch:
Twelve places of worship in London have this week been given grants for urgent repairs.
Paddy Pugh, planning director for London at English Heritage, said: “Thanks to the generosity of the Heritage Lottery Fund, and ultimately therefore of the public, those historic places of worship in direst need still have the vital safety net of the Repair Grants scheme.”
- 1 Owner who posted video of his restaurant defying Covid rules loses licence
- 2 Ilford man raises awareness of 'life-saving' gadget after dad's death
- 3 South Woodford post office to close in the spring
- 4 Fire breaks out at care home under renovation in Newbury Park
- 5 Have you seen this 17-year-old missing from Wanstead?
- 6 Woman had phone stolen at knife-point in Woodford Green
- 7 Plans for 66ft 5G mast in Goodmayes alarms residents
- 8 South Woodford flat 'has parties several times a week during lockdown'
- 9 Ilford Exchange Debenhams to permanently close
- 10 Tributes paid to Ilford jazz legend Keith Nichols, who died from Covid