Target of �102k for ‘desperately needed’ Wanstead church repairs
A CHURCH has kick-started a �102,000 fundraising mission, as it tries to make “desperately needed” repairs.
The Heritage Lottery Fund and English Heritage have awarded Christ Church, Wanstead Place, Wanstead, a grant of �158,000 for roof repairs and the renewal of valley and rainwater gutters.
But to get the work done, Wanstead St Mary’s with Christ Church Parish needs to raise �102,000 in the next 18 months.
Parish rector-designate Rev Liz Horwell said: “There will be all kinds of sponsored events and fundraising going on to try to raise the rest of the money.
“It will be a lot of hard work but we have made a good start with the award of this grant.”
You may also want to watch:
Twelve places of worship in London have this week been given grants for urgent repairs.
Paddy Pugh, planning director for London at English Heritage, said: “Thanks to the generosity of the Heritage Lottery Fund, and ultimately therefore of the public, those historic places of worship in direst need still have the vital safety net of the Repair Grants scheme.”
- 1 Mercato Ilford 'delayed again' as council pushes for Christmas opening
- 2 'Not acceptable': Residents mount opposition to plumbers' building plan
- 3 ‘Hard to comprehend’: MPs react as Sir David Amess dies after stabbing
- 4 Road and rail round-up: Disruptions to travel in east London this week
- 5 Cross-party group demands mayor reject Tesco Goodmayes development
- 6 'Sick and tired': More restaurants fall victim to Just Eat scammers
- 7 Two more police 'enforcement hubs' to open in Redbridge
- 8 Six cars damaged and lamppost felled in late-night Loxford crash
- 9 Chadwell Heath pharmacy to offer Covid-19 booster jabs with flu vaccine
- 10 Jailed: Men who laundered £25m from cash and carry warehouses