Target of �102k for ‘desperately needed’ Wanstead church repairs
A CHURCH has kick-started a �102,000 fundraising mission, as it tries to make “desperately needed” repairs.
The Heritage Lottery Fund and English Heritage have awarded Christ Church, Wanstead Place, Wanstead, a grant of �158,000 for roof repairs and the renewal of valley and rainwater gutters.
But to get the work done, Wanstead St Mary’s with Christ Church Parish needs to raise �102,000 in the next 18 months.
Parish rector-designate Rev Liz Horwell said: “There will be all kinds of sponsored events and fundraising going on to try to raise the rest of the money.
“It will be a lot of hard work but we have made a good start with the award of this grant.”
You may also want to watch:
Twelve places of worship in London have this week been given grants for urgent repairs.
Paddy Pugh, planning director for London at English Heritage, said: “Thanks to the generosity of the Heritage Lottery Fund, and ultimately therefore of the public, those historic places of worship in direst need still have the vital safety net of the Repair Grants scheme.”
- 1 Flooding causes road and rail disruption across east London
- 2 Developments approved in Redbridge so far in 2021
- 3 Ilford charity opens B&M store in Newbury Park
- 4 Redbridge clean-up underway after flash floods close A&E and damage homes
- 5 Update: Missing girl, 12, found 'safe and well'
- 6 Backlash as Fairlop Waters meadow turned into overflow parking
- 7 Dagenham set to sign youngster Aaron Blair as McQueen to go out on loan
- 8 Man charged with Ilford robbery
- 9 Ceiling panels collapse and operations cancelled at hospital after flooding
- 10 Primary schools in Redbridge rated outstanding by Ofsted