Target of �102k for ‘desperately needed’ Wanstead church repairs
A CHURCH has kick-started a �102,000 fundraising mission, as it tries to make “desperately needed” repairs.
The Heritage Lottery Fund and English Heritage have awarded Christ Church, Wanstead Place, Wanstead, a grant of �158,000 for roof repairs and the renewal of valley and rainwater gutters.
But to get the work done, Wanstead St Mary’s with Christ Church Parish needs to raise �102,000 in the next 18 months.
Parish rector-designate Rev Liz Horwell said: “There will be all kinds of sponsored events and fundraising going on to try to raise the rest of the money.
“It will be a lot of hard work but we have made a good start with the award of this grant.”
You may also want to watch:
Twelve places of worship in London have this week been given grants for urgent repairs.
Paddy Pugh, planning director for London at English Heritage, said: “Thanks to the generosity of the Heritage Lottery Fund, and ultimately therefore of the public, those historic places of worship in direst need still have the vital safety net of the Repair Grants scheme.”
- 1 Murder probe launched after mother-of-two’s body found in Chadwell Heath
- 2 Election 2021: Live updates for London Assembly, Loxford and Seven Kings
- 3 Man wanted in connection with dangerous driving incident in Newbury Park
- 4 'No stone will be left unturned' to find killer of Maria Jane Rawlings
- 5 Man stabbed in Goodmayes
- 6 Woman's body found in Chadwell Heath
- 7 Mosque director: Ilford egg attack highlights Islamophobia Muslims face
- 8 Police car flips over in Chadwell Heath collision
- 9 Ilford mosque attendees attacked with eggs and stones
- 10 Have you seen Casey, 16, missing from Ilford?