Ilford murder investigation launched after woman dies of injuries
- Credit: Google Maps
A murder investigation has been launched in Ilford after a woman has died of what police say are assault injuries.
Police were called to Princes Road at about 2pm on April 9 to reports that a woman called Svetlana Mihalachi had been assaulted inside a home.
The London Ambulance Serice (LAS) took Svetlana to hospital, and that is where the 53-year-old passed away from her injuries on May 12.
Nicolae Virtosu, 47, of no fixed address, had already been charged with attempted murder and making threats to kill in relation to the incident, and he appeared at Barkingside Magistrates’ Court on April 12.
He was remanded in custody to appear next at the Old Bailey on May 24.
You may also want to watch:
Following Svetlana's death, a murder investigation has been launched.
Det Supt Paul Trevers said: “Our thoughts are with Svetlana’s family following this incredibly sad development. They are being supported by specialist officers."
- 1 Arrests in Ilford and East Ham as police target suspected county lines gang
- 2 Newbury Park supermarket security staff step in to help man in crisis
- 3 Average Redbridge house price nearly £30k higher than last year
- 4 Doctor struck off after working underqualified for locum shifts
- 5 Businesses find cannabis growing in their flower pots
- 6 Man found stabbed in Chadwell Heath
- 7 Covid jabs available at town hall clinic
- 8 Council dishes out £7k of fines in fly-tipping crackdown
- 9 Two arrests after alleged assault on teen in Newbury Park
- 10 Hainault woman celebrates 100th birthday with mayoral visit
He reassured the community that officers believe it to be an "isolated incident with no further risk to the public”.