Super ‘Side hit six of the best
Boss Fenn banking on a repeat performance.
BARKINGSIDE started 2011 with a flurry of goals in a 6-2 Essex Senior League win over Takeley on Tuesday night – and manager Tony Fenn will be hoping for more of the same tonight (Thursday).
’Side will test themselves against last season’s league champions Stansted at Oakside as they aim to reduce the gap between them and the top five.
There is currently nine points between Fenn’s side and fifth- placed Witham Town going into the clash with Terry Spillane’s Airportmen.
Without a league fixture at the weekend, the Oakside outfit will have to wait until Wednesday for their next game as they make the trip to the Len Salmon Stadium to face Bowers & Pitsea.
Barkingside ended the year without a fixture in December, and have only played two home league fixtures since the start of the season.
But with a busy January ahead, which sees them with seven fixtures – all in the league – Fenn will aim for a push up the table, with games in hand over every side in the division, apart from their next opponents Stansted.
- 1 Pan-Asian noodle bar opens on Ilford High Street
- 2 Fairlop Waters car park to transform into ice-rink for Christmas
- 3 Items from Lidl and Sainsbury's recalled over health and safety concerns
- 4 Weather warning issued ahead of expected gale force winds in London
- 5 Redbridge Council is watching you: Mobile CCTV vehicle set to tackle crime
- 6 Tributes to former Hornchurch, Dagenham, Wealdstone and Hendon forward Marvin Morgan
- 7 Travel: What to watch out for across Havering, Redbridge and Barking and Dagenham
- 8 Search continues for man who fled scene of Loxford stabbing
- 9 Barking cash and carry boss jailed for five years for money laundering
- 10 The gift of giving: Where to donate food across east London this Christmas
The task at hand for Fenn’s side remains a tough one, as Stansted remain undefeated in the league, with nine wins and two draws in their 11 games.
The clash with Bowers is an easier one on paper, but they have only tasted defeat once at home, to Stansted 7-2, and go into the clash on the back of a 2-1 win over Burnham Ramblers.