Strike number six planned at Barkingside and South Woodford post offices over franchise plans
- Credit: Archant
Another two strikes are planned for Barkingside and South Woodford post offices as the dispute between management and a union rumbles on.
The strike tomorrow (Thursday) is number six and June 29 will be the seventh since industrial action began at Easter.
Barkingside Post Office, in High Street, and South Woodford Post Office, in George Lane, may stay open through the action.
They are both crown post offices, which are run directly by the company, rather than as a franchise within other businesses.
The Communication Workers’ Union (CWU) called the action in continued opposition to plans to franchise some crown branches and disputes over job security and pay.
You may also want to watch:
Barkingside Post Office is one of the branches the Post Office hopes to close and move into a shop to save money.
CWU deputy general secretary Dave Ward said the planned changes would “drastically affect the network and the services which communities rely on”.
- 1 Guilty: Who was jailed across east London in July?
- 2 Redbridge issued more than 2,800 Blue Badge fines in 2020, data shows
- 3 Former Homebase development plans approved
- 4 More than £5m worth of stolen vehicles recovered in first Redbridge Action Week
- 5 'Uproar' at decision to fell protected oak tree in Hainault
- 6 Water company apologises for phone line waits as flood response branded 'woefully inadequate'
- 7 Woodford Green and Forest Gate residents criticise councils over flooding
- 8 Tube strike suspended to allow for further talks
- 9 BHRUT doctors taking on triathlon in memory of colleague’s daughter
- 10 Ricardo Fuller death: Third man charged with murder
But Post Office network and sales director Kevin Gilliland said franchised branches would offer access to the same range products and services.
He added: “The CWU is in denial of the need for us to modernise our crown network.”
Strike action tomorrow (Thursday) will begin at 2pm and is planned all day on June 29. Up to 373 post offices across the UK may join.