Stratford pensioner fights £408 parking fine issued by ‘overzealous’ Redbridge warden while changing fiver for coins

PUBLISHED: 11:17 10 October 2018 | UPDATED: 11:21 10 October 2018

Chris and Glynis Andrews are protesting about the parking fine received in Fullwell Cross car park.

Chris and Glynis Andrews are protesting about the parking fine received in Fullwell Cross car park.


A Stratford pensioner and his disabled wife are protesting a parking fine issued by a ‘overzealous’ Redbridge traffic warden that has ballooned to £408.

Chris Andrews, 67, and his wife Glynis, 63, are protesting against a £60 parking fine they recieved in Fullwell Cross car park, in High Road, Barkingside, on November 11 last year.

Their doctor recommended they go swimming to help manage Glynis’ withered spinal vertebrae and Chris’ spondylosis, a degenerative spinal condition.

“Because we moved to Stratford a year before, we didn’t realise [the cost] had gone up from £1.90 to £3,” Chris said.

“I only had £1.90 change.”

“We thought we better go to reception to change a £5 note.”

Upon returning to their car, the Andrews found a traffic warden in the middle of issuing them a ticket.

“I explained the situation and he said ‘I can see you are honest and you have the money in your hand,’

“But then he said he had already started and he couldn’t take it off the system.”

Documents seen by The Recorder show the penalty was issued just minutes before Mr Andrews bought a two-hour pay and display ticket.

A signed letter from duty manager of the leisure centre, operated by Vision, confirms that they were exchanging money only three minutes earlier.

But, after explaining this to the council, the Andrews’ appeal was rejected.

The Andrews have refused to pay the fine which burgeoned from £60 to £408 in the just over five months.

“I’m not guilty,” Chris said.

“Why would I pay the fine if I am not guilty?”

A council spokeswoman said: “Whilst we appreciate that Mr Andrews didn’t have sufficient change to pay for his parking initially, it is clearly signposted there are other ways to pay such as over the phone or by the RingGo app.

“The car was left unattended and the fine correctly issued.

“The charge has escalated because payment is over five months late, despite repeated reminders.

She added: “We would encourage Mr. Andrews to contact us so we can try and arrange support for him relating to the penalty charge.”

Mr Andrews said he was unaware of any alternative payment methods.

“The pain I get from Spondylosis,” Chris said. “They don’t understand.”

They are now receiving letters threatening that bailiffs will reclaim goods to the value of the fine.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Ilford Recorder. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Ilford Recorder