Ilford art students get surprise visit from print master Stanley Jones
- Credit: Archant
Art students were treated to a surprise masterclass from artist and print master Stanley Jones MBE while on a school trip.
Every year as part of their fine art class students from Ursuline Academy, in Morland Road, Ilford, visit Curwen Print Press in Cambridge to see print-making techniques from the industrial age.
This year they unexpectedly received a visit from Mr Jones, who lives in Woodford Green and has worked with artists such as David Hockney and Barbara Hepworth.
Mr Jones, who was honoured with an MBE in 2000 for "services to lithography", offered them sound advice about keeping the craft alive in an age of digital printing.
He told the girls once they've learned print-making it will stay with them forever.
You may also want to watch:
Raymond Butler, head of art at Ursuline, said: "The students were in awe of Mr Jones and his talk really opened up their eyes to the possibilities of print-making."
- 1 Two men assaulted with pole after car driven into them
- 2 Two men arrested after kidnapping in broad daylight in South Woodford
- 3 Hainault teen lands coveted slot on dance touring company
- 4 Waste reduction campaign launches with Redbridge fifth largest rubbish producer in England
- 5 Man in hospital after car flips over in Wanstead
- 6 Wanstead Market set to re-open
- 7 Man charged with murder after elderly woman found dead in bathtub in Clayhall home
- 8 Pedestrian suffers 'life-threatening head injury' in Redbridge collision
- 9 Music from Jessie J and Olly Murs to feature in new musical in Romford
- 10 Police officer sacked after 'encouraging friend to lie about collision'