Search

Spontaneously combusting towels start fire at Woodford Green beauty salon

PUBLISHED: 09:40 04 July 2013 | UPDATED: 09:40 04 July 2013

Spontaneously combusting towels started a fire at a Woodford Green beauty salon yesterday evening.

The small blaze was quickly brought under control by firefighters at His and Hers Beauty Clinic, in Snakes Lane East, around 9pm.

Chemicals and hair products on towels left in a tumble drier appeared to have spontaneously started to burn.

Woodford fire station watch manager Terry Jayes said: “Self-heating chemicals left on the towels started the fire.

“We arrived and quickly had the fire out and spoke to all concerned.

“It’s something to remember to remove towels from tumble driers as soon as possible.”

No one was injured in the fire.

More soon...


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Ilford Recorder. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Ilford Recorder