Spanish bar that attracts The Only Way is Essex stars set to open in Woodford Green
- Credit: Archant
A Marbella nightspot that has featured in hit TV show The Only Way is Essex is set to “invade” Woodford Green.
A spokesman for the company said that it hopes to attract its celebrity following to the venue in Chigwell Road, which will host live entertainment on a nightly basis.
But the arrival of La Sala to the suburb has been described as “completely inappropriate” by the leader of the Redbridge Council’s Conservative Party, Cllr Paul Canal.
On its website La Sala describes the opening of the venue in the former White Hart pub as its “English invasion”.
In 2010 Deuces Lounge and Bar, owned by The Only Way is Essex (TOWIE) star Mark Wright opened on the site. It closed after complaints led to its licencing hours being slashed and has been empty for several years.
You may also want to watch:
“Woodford Bridge was blighted by TOWIE’s Deuces nightclub four years ago,” said Cllr Canal.
“Resident’s lives were ruined by street fights, fire bombings and serious assaults. Calm descended when the hours were cut back to 11pm, and that is when any planned venue for the White Hart should close.”
- 1 Mercato Ilford 'delayed again' as council pushes for Christmas opening
- 2 'Not acceptable': Residents mount opposition to plumbers' building plan
- 3 ‘Hard to comprehend’: MPs react as Sir David Amess dies after stabbing
- 4 Two more police 'enforcement hubs' to open in Redbridge
- 5 Five veggie-friendly restaurants in Redbridge, courtesy of TripAdvisor
- 6 'Sick and tired': More restaurants fall victim to Just Eat scammers
- 7 The most expensive houses sold in your east London borough in August
- 8 Six cars damaged and lamppost felled in late-night Loxford crash
- 9 Cross-party group demands mayor reject Tesco Goodmayes development
- 10 Chadwell Heath pharmacy to offer Covid-19 booster jabs with flu vaccine
The restaurant, which has received financial backing from footballers including Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, David Bentley and Stephern Carr, is the first the brand will open outside of Spain.
A spokesman said the company was hoping to secure permission to open until between 12.30am and 1.30am.
La Sala describes its venues as offering “the utimate social and dining experience, day and night”.
It has invited the stars of TOWIE to attend its launch party tweeting “we hope they will be (there) when we launch this September”.
Cllr Canal said: “This is not the right place for the TOWIE set to party until the small hours. I will stand shoulder to shoulder with my residents to oppose this application. It’s the wrong club, in the wrong location and a cannot be allowed to proceed.”
Cllr Canal has invited residents to contact him on firstname.lastname@example.org or call him on 020 8708 2240.