Synagogue donates dozens of 'Bags of Kindness' for domestic abuse refugees
- Credit: David Hulbert
A South Woodford synagogue has put together 80 pampering gifts bags to help domestic abuse refugees through the Bags of Kindness charity.
The East London and Essex Liberal Synagogue has been collecting toiletries, cosmetics, bars of chocolate, treats and felt-tip pens for kids to put together the special gift bags for International Women's Day.
The Bags of Kindness charity was set up by Claire Hartley during lockdown to support domestic abuse refugees in east London and Essex.
A domestic abuse survivor herself, she decided to launch the charity after being horrified at reports of the increased levels of abuse which some women and children faced during the first lockdown.
Fiona Hulbert used her house as a collection hub for the donation appeal and said she was overwhelmed with the generosity and the number of items which came in.
You may also want to watch:
The charity donates bags of essential toiletries for women and 'buddy bags' for children for when they first arrive into safe houses.
Both are designed to make life a little bit easier and more comfortable.
- 1 Upcycle and recycle market coming to former Goodmayes Homebase site
- 2 Girl, 16, allegedly raped in Ilford park
- 3 Travelling in and out of Redbridge? Your guide to road and rail works
- 4 Lorry driver cleared over elderly couple's crash deaths, inquest hears
- 5 NHS pilot to end blood test services at two Redbridge sites
- 6 Woodford Green bomb scare declared false alarm
- 7 Doctor struck off after working underqualified for locum shifts
- 8 Met launches summer operation as teen killings surge
- 9 Ambulance stations to close and be replaced by single centre, LAS reveals
- 10 Arrests in Ilford and East Ham as police target suspected county lines gang
Claire works directly with the refugee centres to gather specific supplies of things they need.
To celebrate International Women's Day she thought it would be nice for every woman in the Haringey centre to receive a special pampering gift bag, thanks to the donations of the synagogue.
For more information visit https://bagsofkindness.org.uk.