South Woodford imam condemns ‘barbaric and inhumane’ acts of Islamic State
- Credit: Archant
As the world reacts to a second beheading of an American journalist, a South Woodford imam has condemned the “barbaric and inhumane acts” of Islamic State.
Dr Mohammed Fahim, of South Woodford Mosque, Mulberry Way, recently invited Metropolitan Police commander Mak Chishty, a Muslim, to address two congregations of 250 people each about the ongoing violence in Syria and Iraq during Friday prayers.
Dr Fahim said: “Islam is against these barbaric and inhumane acts which have been taking place.
“There are no sensible people supporting Islamic State (IS).
“At our mosque, we lecture them regularly to say that this is not our religion - it is not allowed, it is something that we distance ourselves from.”
You may also want to watch:
On Tuesday, an IS video purporting to show the murder of a second journalist was released, just days after US cameraman James Foley was also killed in Iraq.
Dr Mohammed Fahim added he supported the fatwa - a Islamic religious ruling - issued last weekend, before the beheading of Steven Sotloff.
- 1 Mercato Ilford 'delayed again' as council pushes for Christmas opening
- 2 'Not acceptable': Residents mount opposition to plumbers' building plan
- 3 ‘Hard to comprehend’: MPs react as Sir David Amess dies after stabbing
- 4 Two more police 'enforcement hubs' to open in Redbridge
- 5 Five veggie-friendly restaurants in Redbridge, courtesy of TripAdvisor
- 6 'Sick and tired': More restaurants fall victim to Just Eat scammers
- 7 The most expensive houses sold in your east London borough in August
- 8 Six cars damaged and lamppost felled in late-night Loxford crash
- 9 Cross-party group demands mayor reject Tesco Goodmayes development
- 10 Chadwell Heath pharmacy to offer Covid-19 booster jabs with flu vaccine
The fatwa is the strongest denunciation yet from the Muslim community in this country.
Dr Fahim added: “Islamic State as an army cannot pose a threat to this country, but when you talk about individuals coming back from the fighting who may have been brainwashed they may act in a different way.”