South Woodford husband and wife mix technology and tradition for tutoring service
A husband and wife teaching pair have set up a private tuition service combining the latest technology with more traditional methods.
Neville and Carolyn Bluck opened Brainbox Education, Lily House, The Shrubberies, South Woodford, last month, offering professional tuition to primary and secondary school students, as well as those preparing to take their 11-plus.
Mr Bluck said: “The business is going fantastically. After only six weeks we have filled 40 places, so we couldn’t have asked for more.
“We wanted to offer an excellent tuition service with a personalised syllabus and no more than four students per tutor.”
The two teachers, who also work part-time at Park School for Girls, Park Avenue, Ilford, have been qualified for more than 12 years, working in both primary and secondary education.
You may also want to watch:
The service has four other tutors and focuses on English and maths from primary to sixth form levels.
Mr Bluck said: “We wanted to mix traditional and modern methods of teaching, including the use of iPads.
- 1 Arrests in Ilford and East Ham as police target suspected county lines gang
- 2 Doctor struck off after working underqualified for locum shifts
- 3 Man found stabbed in Chadwell Heath
- 4 Two arrests after alleged assault on teen in Newbury Park
- 5 Fire at Ilford Lane shop was accidental, brigade says
- 6 Average Redbridge house price nearly £30k higher than last year
- 7 Strike over Covid working dispute begins at Oaks Park High School
- 8 Businesses find cannabis growing in their flower pots
- 9 School Streets scheme to expand in September
- 10 Delta variant accounts for majority of Covid cases in much of east London
“Using this up-to-date technology has so far worked brilliantly and pupils have really engaged in apps and the visuals have proved popular and effective.”
Pupils are also offered incentives including trophies and awards for their hard work.
Mr Bluck said: “Students come to us for a variety of reasons including those who want general support, or if they are struggling, or even if they’re not being stretched enough.
“We also have a number who are preparing for entrance exams including the seven-plus.”
Mr Bluck added: “We thought we should start our own service and it has been very exciting.
“My wife and I have a passion for education and we look at every student individually.”
• To find out more visit www.brainbox.org.uk, call 07983 999 609 or 020 8532 2356.